My book-buying "problem"

Discussion in 'Books, Films, TV, Radio' started by Chris C, Jul 6, 2018.

1. Markyboy

Markyboy Member

Must not buy books, must not buy books……. Lashenden Air Warfare Museum, quid each. The top one is signed.

Attached Files:

stolpi, JimHerriot, von Poop and 3 others like this.
  2. Charley Fortnum

Charley Fortnum Dreaming of Red Eagles

A quid doesn't count.

It's only a book if it cost over a fiver--and certainly not if it's light enough to lay on top of other books.

You're not in the wrong here.

Carry on.

8RB, stolpi, JimHerriot and 5 others like this.
  3. Orwell1984

Orwell1984 Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Finally able to find a copy of this book at a decent price. Lots of interesting photos as well as text.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Other arrivals

4. Charley Fortnum

100 pages. More of a booklet, than a book...

Screenshot 2024-04-21 at 1.39.45 AM.png

stolpi, Waddell, CL1 and 6 others like this.
  5. von Poop

von Poop Adaministrator Admin

Very sound.
    I'm still doing well on the self-denying tank book ordinance, but a quid to maybe £2.50 in a charity shop or similar definitely doesn't qualify.

Still haven't cancelled my c.£30 almost a year long pre-order of Mr Anderson's almost-there history of Septic tank design, though.
    Faintly hoping it won't break the dam.

Narrator's voice: "It almost certainly will break the dam..."

(Y'know those books that'll cost £80+ if you decide to get it too late? Yeah... got a feeling it'll be in that category if I don't engage.)

81SJxhHgAdL._SL1500_.jpg

He did not choose the title. :lol::unsure:

6. Orwell1984

Orwell1984 Senior Member

Always enjoy watching him in action on AHF. Makes for some interesting threads.

von Poop likes this.
  7. von Poop

von Poop Adaministrator Admin

He's very good at the politest of Fiskings...
    Other books rather good too.
    Bloody Septics, coming over 'ere and writing calm, sensible well-sourced histories of our Armoured formations. :unsure:

Don Juan and stolpi like this.
  8. Jonathan Ball

Jonathan Ball It's a way of life.

Getting a bit predictable with my purchases but finding this latest one an excellent read. The resistance through Cretan eyes.
    The Priesthood on the island, who judging by the photos were more than handy, got up to plenty of shenanigans:.

IMG_3831.jpeg

8RB, kopite, JimHerriot and 4 others like this.
  9. Waddell

Waddell Well-Known Member

That is a nice illustration of the marines on the cover of that book.

Scott

10. Charley Fortnum

I like it, too.

Reminds me of the kind you see on the cover of small print-run wargaming rules I used to buy as a teenager.

Hoping to get some material on 40 Commando and 3 Commando Bde in the late 40s and early 50s.

Someone has recently done an excellent job of updating the dodgy skeleton article that had been sitting on Wikipedia for years: British Forces Overseas Hong Kong - Wikipedia

11. Orwell1984

Orwell1984 Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Interesting arrival with some good pictures. Covers Tobruk up until Kiel. Bought it for the accounts on serving on A lighters doing the supply run to Tobruk

Charley Fortnum likes this.
  12. Don Juan

Don Juan Well-Known Member

Yes, Richard Anderson is very good.

13. andy007

andy007 Senior Member

My latest purchase is Heavy and Continuous Sacrifice edited by Peter Cooke and John Crawford. The blurb describes it thus:

"Every four years the NZ Military History Committee runs a conference and publishes the best papers from it about New Zealand’s varied and fascinating military history. This book brings together the latest thinking on aspects of New Zealand’s Second World War from perspectives as wide as Germany, Canada, Britain and Australia and on subjects covering combat, forces, personalities, attitudes and after-effects. This book includes essays from some of the most renowned New Zealand and international historians, including Jonathan Fennell, Chris Pugsley, Peter Lieb, Robert Engen, Claire Cookson-Hills, and John Crawford."

Photos of the contents page can be found here https://x.com/DCLittlewood/status/1773142282348175739