HMIS Kumaon deaths 6/2/44

Discussion in 'The War at Sea' started by Steve49, Apr 16, 2024.

1. Steve49

Steve49 Boycott P&O...

Sunday 6th February 1944

The following deaths from minesweeper HMIS Kumaon are listed by CWGC as occurring on this date.

HEAP, Robert, Lieutenant, RINVR, MPK [PlyM]
    HOUSLEY, Henry, Sub Lieutenant, RINVR, MPK [PlyM]
    NIAMAT ULLAH MIAN, Greaser, 72934 (RIN), died [BCWM]
    SIMPSON, John W, Lieutenant, RINVR, MPK [PlyM]
    SLATER, John A, Sub Lieutenant, RINR, MPK [PlyM]

I cannot find any information on any event that could have caused these casualties, so does anyone have any idea what happened to result in these deaths?

Regards,

Steve

2. davidbfpo

davidbfpo Patron Patron

None of them listed on this website: Royal Indian Naval Volunteer Reserve (RINVR) Officers 1939-1945

Simpson is this Kiwi site: https://www.aucklandmuseum.com/war-memorial/online-cenotaph/record/184011 Perhaps his old school will know more?

Her patrol area was:

Sarma was a Lt. aboard at the time. He wrote a book 'My years at sea', pub. 2001 and it is available on Google Books, alas it covers that day without anything written down.

Housley came from Manchester, perhaps there is a line of inquiry there in a local newspaper. From: Manchester and Lancashire Family History Society - Home and a pointer to his previous work place: Housley, Henry

It is curious that all four officers died, the only "Other Rank" shown is Mian, a 'Greaser'. All are commemorated - the officers @ Plymouth Memorial and Mr Mian at Bombay / Chittagong - so no bodies were available. No-one else appears to have died linked to the ship (CWGC is not good searching for one ship I found).

Last edited: Apr 16, 2024
    Rattler and Steve49 like this.
  3. Steve49

Steve49 Boycott P&O...

At a guess I wonder if they were killed after a boat accident, which could explain the large number of officer deaths and absence of any shore burials. Though obviously there also exists the possibility that the ship was at sea at the time of their deaths and they all received burials at sea.

I see that there is no record of their deaths in the ADM358 missing series, so it would seem that whatever caused there loss was known at the time.

Its curious that the memoir makes no reference to an incident. You'd imagine the loss of four of probably six officers from your ships company, would be a rather significant event, the memory of which would stay with you for the rest of your life.

Regards,

Steve

davidbfpo likes this.
  4. Shoto

Shoto Active Member

Have you seen this website Steve?

Not read it all but maybe it hold s some answers?

The Royal Indian Navy

Best regards,

Steve

Steve49 likes this.
  5. Steve49

Steve49 Boycott P&O...

Hi Steve,

Thanks, but sadly there's no information on this incident in their Official History.

Edit: I wonder if ADM 199/1437 (Persian Gulf Command War Diaries) ADM 199/772 (East Africa, Aden, Bombay and Persian Gulf Commands: War Diaries) could shed anymore light? Guess I'll add them to my TNA document wish list for whenever I next get over there.

Regards,

Steve

6. travers1940

travers1940 Well-Known Member

Two sources say Henry Housley died accidentally

.. TREVOR (R.N.), MURIEL, ELEANOR. 24, Radcliffe New Road. Whitefleld. UOUSLEY. Sacred memories of my' husband. Sub-Lieut. (E) HENRY HOUSLEY ( R.1.N.V.R.), accidentally killed, Indian, theatre of war, Feb. 6, 1944. Linked by a love nothing can destroy. Your loving' ...
    Manchester Evening News 6th Feb 1946
    Results for 'henry housley' | Between 1st Jan 1940 and 31st Dec 1949 | British Newspaper Archive
    Joined the Metro-Vicker's Comapny as an Electrical Fitter in August 1939 and employed in the West Works Extension 4 Department. Joined the Royal Indian Naval Volunteer Reserve as a Sub-Lieutenant in April 1943 and later posted to the Far East. Accidentally killled in India in February 1944.
    Dedicated to remembering entry number 629 of Trafford with the surname of Housley that fought in both world wars for our freedom.

and some info on Robert Heap
    .. associated with the family firm of Marsland and Co.. shoddy manufacturers, Leeds. His two younger brothers. Lieutenant Robert Heap (261 and Midshipman Edward (20). are serving in the Royal Indian Naval Volunteer Reserve. Bradford's Free Rides For Wounded ...
    Bradford Observer 5th Sept 1944
    Results for 'robert heap ' | Between 1st Jan 1940 and 31st Dec 1949 | British Newspaper Archive

The autobiography of S H Sarma is available here as a download
    https://indhouses.com/library/my-years-at-sea/

Last edited: Apr 17, 2024
    Steve49 likes this.