Looking for information

Discussion on the tanks and other armoured fighting vehicles, which participated in World War 2.
dutchman
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Looking for information

Postby dutchman » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:10 am

I was re-reading a series of books, at least the section on desert war in WW-2. There was a mention of a U.S. Division being stripped of "it's recently arrived Shermans", so they could be used to re-equip a British Division. It didn't identify the specific divisions, does anyone have an idea which American Division it was or which British Division was given used gear to re-equip it? I thought this fell under "lend lease" but I was assured no one ever received used equipment via "lend lease" So they must have found another way to transfer the tanks.

Ricky
Quartermaster
Quartermaster

Re: Looking for information

Postby Ricky » Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:25 pm

It wasn't terribly uncommon for equipment to be transferred from one unit to another. Most usually it was units sent back out of the front line who would leave their AFVs behind to be replacements for combat losses in other units. Occasionally 'green' units or units newly arrived in theatre would simply 'donate' their equipment to a veteran unit who needed equipment (I've read a handful of unit diaries from North Africa where this happened)

Given the unfortunate reputation US troops gained in their first battles in North Africa*, coupled with the high regard their equipment was held in (particularly the Sherman) I can certainly believe this did happen.

I'm sure David W can give you a precise answer...

*Which was soon reversed, of course :)
"Study the past, if you would divine the future"
-Confucius

"I am pedantic, I'm just being overshadowed by Ricky so it isn't as noticable as it would else have been"
-Skua

canambridge
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Re: Looking for information

Postby canambridge » Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:52 am

It was the US 2nd Armored Division. The Brits were offered the division as a whole but opted for only the tanks (and possibly the M7 HMC). The M4 tanks were split among three armoured brigades:

British 1st Armoured Division, 2nd Armoured Brigade (92)
British 10th Armoured Division, 8th Armoured Brigade (31)
British 24th Armoured Brigade (93) [attached to Br 10th Ar Div from Br 8th Arm Div]
British 11th Regiment, Royal Horse Artillery (Honourable Artillery Company) [ex 8th Armoured Division] (equipped with M7 Priest)

Return to “Tanks in World War 2”