Welds on the Tiger II

Discussion on the tanks and other armoured fighting vehicles, which participated in World War 2.
COCHA
Recruit

Welds on the Tiger II

Postby COCHA » Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:31 pm

I am currently translating a Russian-language book that goes into excruciating detail about the manufacture of the Tiger II tank. I've come across a couple of terms for the types of welded joints used to assemble the armor plates that can be translated several ways. I'm hoping someone on this forum knows enough about the types of welds used to help me sort out the correct terms.

шиповое соединение — "mortise-and-tenon joint," "tongue-and-groove joint" (I've only seen this term used in woodworking)

Соединение внахлестку —some possible translations: "lap joint," "butt lap"

Соединение в замок — possible translations: "lock joint," "scarf joint, "split joint"

I'm leaning towards the first option in each case, but I'm hoping someone can tell me if I'm wrong.

Ricky
Quartermaster
Quartermaster

Re: Welds on the Tiger II

Postby Ricky » Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:18 pm

I'm not a Russian speaker, but I can comment on the armour. If you look at the join at the front of the glacis, the two plates are interlocked very much in a mortice-and-tenon / tongue-and-groove method, just like a wooden corner would be

"Study the past, if you would divine the future"
-Confucius

"I am pedantic, I'm just being overshadowed by Ricky so it isn't as noticable as it would else have been"
-Skua

COCHA
Recruit

Postby COCHA » Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:00 pm

Thanks, Ricky. They give me some confidence that I'm not too far off the mark. But can you tell whether the joint is mortise and tenon or tongue and groove? I imagine a tongue-and-groove joint would be significantly longer than a mortise-and-tenon joint.

Patrick levens
Recruit

Postby Patrick levens » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:42 pm

Соединение в замок — possible translations: "lock joint," "scarf joint, "split joint"

No such thing as "Lock joint" to my knowledge and scarf joint is a type of Brazing joint as for tong and grove I have 15 years exp in construction and am a Certified Welding Inspector A.W.S. and i have NEVER come across that in metal work. And it's Butt joint when two pieces meet end to end lap joint is when two pieces over lap each other.

COCHA
Recruit

Postby COCHA » Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:22 pm

Located a drawing posted on a Russian forum similar to this one. Here’s the link:

http://www.tigerscorner.ru/index.php?topic=393.0

A little over half way down the page is it a drawing of two welded joints used at different times in manufacturing the T-34. The second one is labeled "соединение в шип"—the term for which I've found translations like "mortise and tenon joint" and "tongue and groove joint."

I'm not sure whether to trust the poster, however. The drawing doesn't show anything like a "шип," which means "pin" or "spike," and other things.

Ricky
Quartermaster
Quartermaster

Postby Ricky » Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:52 pm

Take a look at some of the joints here, which may help

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woodworking_joints

The names for welding joints seem to be focussed very much on the two faces of the material to be welded, not on how the overall joint is fashioned

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welding_joint
-Confucius

"I am pedantic, I'm just being overshadowed by Ricky so it isn't as noticable as it would else have been"
-Skua

COCHA
Recruit

Postby COCHA » Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:25 pm

I turned up this drawing of weld types used on the Panther: http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=311utsx ... pqzxSorKUk

Unfortunately, they aren't labeled in Russian. Anyway, I decided to go with "tenon joint." I found that term in a few descriptions of welded joints.

whelmy
Recruit

Postby whelmy » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:59 am

Ricky
Quartermaster
Quartermaster

Postby Ricky » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:10 am

Excellent find - many thanks!

The inked report refers to the joints as 'Interlocking' or 'notc and pin interlocking'
-Confucius

-Skua

Return to “Tanks in World War 2”