external gas tanks

Discussion on the tanks and other armoured fighting vehicles, which participated in World War 2.
GLUGS
Recruit

external gas tanks

Postby GLUGS » Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:43 pm

I've noticed that alot of tanks (particularly the Russian tanks) had external fuel tanks. We're these commonly know to catch fire or explode from weapon fire?

Ricky
Quartermaster
Quartermaster

Re: external gas tanks

Postby Ricky » Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:19 pm

Typically they were jettisonable, so if they did catch fire they could be dumped
"Study the past, if you would divine the future"
-Confucius

"I am pedantic, I'm just being overshadowed by Ricky so it isn't as noticable as it would else have been"
-Skua

TISO
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Re: external gas tanks

Postby TISO » Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:23 pm

On Soviet tanks diesel was used which is not so prone to catch fire as petrol and IRRC on of the drums on later T-34 series was motor oil.
I would also add that on post war tanks (T-54, 55, 62, 64, 72 etc.) additional fuel drums mounted at the rear were are not ment for combat but would be removed before combat.
"I am the punishment of God...If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you"
Genghis Kahn

I am not ordering you to attack, I am ordering you to die. Until we die, we can win the time for the arrival of new troops and commanders.
from the order for counter attack from lt.col. Mustafa Kemal to his 57th Brigade on 25th of April 1915 Gallipoli

"I am not without sins. There cannot be an airborne assault general who has no sins. I spit on popularity ratings. I live and serve as I see fit."
Lt. general Lebed Aleksandr Ivanovich

Return to “Tanks in World War 2”