roadside tank in belgium

User-build registry of military vehicles around the world, whether in museums, private collections or still on the battlefield. The database can be found at www.pmvrp.com.
Important: Please read the guidelines before posting.

Moderator: Ricky

minilandrover
Recruit

roadside tank in belgium

Postby minilandrover » Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:42 am

Hello, Im trying to trace a roadside tank I nearly crashed into some 35 years ago..I used to drive trucks (tankers of the fluid transport type) all over Europe, through Belgium on the N4 down to the Luxembourg frontier and on into France near Nancy. One trip i took a shortcut east From Belgium to head back into Germany (probably) or Luxembourg somewhere north or Arlon. I remember leaving the relative safety of the N4 ( though it was a very dangerous route in winter) and heading east down some very narrow roads through the forests. It was a night, I was tired and the road was very quiet.. Coming down a slight hill I started to see something strange in front of me in the distance, but I could not make out it-s shape. I could not see that there was a bend to the left and the object seemed to be directly in front of me.
As the distance got shorter, the object seemed more and more strange in shape. I was still driving at 80 KPH tired and now somewhat disorientated. Suddenly the shape with it-s leafy fine camouflage pattern, became sufficiently illuminated in the headlights ( we still drove with yellow lights in those days) for me to realize it was a bloody great tank. Fortunately it was on the roadside and the road turned to the left before the tank, but from a distance it was directly in my way.. I sure it must have been a German ww2 tank and it did seem to be more metal plate than tracks and wheels from the side. I have never retraced the route. And have often wondered if it is still there, scaring innocent drivers as they come down the road towards it. It was defiantly an unusual camouflage and very effective..had me fooled and i nearly hit the brakes when i realized what it was. So this was as I say a long time ago, and im not sure exactly where but it would be in the ARDENNES and on a smaller road than any main trunk route.heading in a eastly direction the tank would be on the right hand (south) side of the road. .Now im retired and live in France, I would love to go touring in the Ardennes again and look up this old tank that scared the C**P out of me. Its possible that it now resides in one of the many fine museums in Belgium. I also remember a TURRET at the roadside as another monument in the Ardennes but that was probably a roadside danger and could well have been re-located as well. Im sure that was from a firefly as it was very small.
Perhaps someone here knows where and what that roadside tank was. or where there is a googleable list of road side ww2 german tanks.
Ps I have my own military vechicle, its a half size replica of the LandRover Lightweight FFR.. See minilandrover f5vhz on youtube..
thanks
Colin.

dutchman
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Re: roadside tank in belgium

Postby dutchman » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:46 pm

I'm still working on the scary tank but I've attached 2 photos of a turret on display near Arlon. Do you think this might have been the turret you saw???
Attachments
t2.jpg
(11.83 KiB) Not downloaded yet
t1.jpg
(7.31 KiB) Not downloaded yet

dutchman
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Postby dutchman » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:59 pm

I found this panther that kind of fits the bill as far as being road side. Its in Grandmenil Belgium.
Let me know what you think?
Attachments
panther 2.jpg
(11.19 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Ricky
Quartermaster
Quartermaster

Postby Ricky » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:47 am

There are a LOT of tank turrets as memorials throughout the Ardennes region, and a fair few German tanks dotted about too - mostly Panthers but there is a King Tiger too.

I'll have to take a look at a map and see if any are near N4
"Study the past, if you would divine the future"
-Confucius

"I am pedantic, I'm just being overshadowed by Ricky so it isn't as noticable as it would else have been"
-Skua

minilandrover
Recruit

Postby minilandrover » Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:58 pm

Wow ! That was quick work, That Panther looks like it might be a contender...the location is in the right area but i think it might have been out of the village as there was no tree in front of it then and the pattern was a more mottled look, but that may have been repainted several times since it left the tankwerk in Germany...The memory plays tricks and it was a long time ago. I do remember the tank facing to the right but the main road on the photo goes past to the right and im sure i followed the road to the left.But THAT COULD BE MY MEMORY as i would have been staying on the main road with my 38 ton truck...If it had been further up the road I would imagine it was moved to a safer place and mounted on the concrete plinth since i saw it last...35 years ago...anyway if there is none other on the roadside that could well be it.. and thank you for the information and photo, its not even visible on google maps until you take the street vue...as its under some trees now.. But again thinking back im sure there was a forest behind it. Ive done a sketch but cant upload it...
But thanks again, for the detective work so far..
Colin

Ricky
Quartermaster
Quartermaster

Postby Ricky » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:54 am

There is another Panther at Houffalize, though this is more in the town so doesn't fit your location description

http://www.achtungpanzer.com/german-pan ... ry-iii.htm

Or there is a King Tiger at La Gleize

http://www.december44.com/en/tiger-213.htm
"Study the past, if you would divine the future"
-Confucius

"I am pedantic, I'm just being overshadowed by Ricky so it isn't as noticable as it would else have been"
-Skua

dutchman
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Postby dutchman » Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:30 pm

Here's a side view of the Panther with battle damage and a photo of a Hetzer with a camo scheme close to what you described.
Attachments
panther Grandmenil Belgium.png
(107.31 KiB) Not downloaded yet
hetzer 1.jpg
(12.63 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Armand of DK
Recruit

Postby Armand of DK » Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:48 pm

I have a similar story, but on motorbike in the fall 1988:
Having seen 1000km race in Spa/Franchorchamps we continued southbound on the big motorway we had arrived on from north - Just to experience the end of the motorway quite at once whereafter we zig-zagged towards France but lost track and crossed the border to Luxembourg in the tight surrounding woods.
At a point we passed a bridge, crossing a deep ravine, and shortly after a 4 meter high statue and a Sherman occured in a curve (showed to be:) east of Ettelbruck!
We had to stop and return and saw it was a monument for Patton and his 4th armoured division.
The road must have been A7/E421.

Return to “Preserved Military Vehicle Registry Project”