PMVRP Discussion

User-build registry of military vehicles around the world, whether in museums, private collections or still on the battlefield. The database can be found at www.pmvrp.com.
Important: Please read the guidelines before posting.

Moderator: Ricky

Christian Ankerstjerne
Administrator
Administrator

Re: PMVRP Discussion

Postby Christian Ankerstjerne » Wed May 28, 2008 10:45 am

I would suggest that they be listed as e.g. Jagdpanzer 38 (G-13) and Sd. Kfz. 251 (OT-810). This way, they'll not show up when people search for the actual vehicles, but will still be available in the database to give a more complete coverage of the museums.

Ricky
Quartermaster
Quartermaster

Postby Ricky » Wed May 28, 2008 10:46 am

Ok. I'll start filling them in then
"Study the past, if you would divine the future"
-Confucius

"I am pedantic, I'm just being overshadowed by Ricky so it isn't as noticable as it would else have been"
-Skua

Ricky
Quartermaster
Quartermaster

Postby Ricky » Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:56 am

bf109 Emil wrote:I will check into this, as i work with people from poland, serbia, croatia, germany, england, and have been told army ordinance even though deemed old have started to be made or taken back...either as a safety consideration, or for some radical theory that it is for the interest or protection of the USA...

On this issue, it does seem that equipment has to be either 'de-militarised', returned, or (if you are lucky) given special permission to reside in an approved museum or collection.
-Confucius

"I am pedantic, I'm just being overshadowed by Ricky so it isn't as noticable as it would else have been"
-Skua

bf109 Emil
General
General

Postby bf109 Emil » Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:24 am

I heard of this an i would be upset if i spent thousands to restore a ex-WW2 vehicle, only to have a museum claim it...on grounds as still being US property from lend-lease agreement...best to try and find a german or other nation vehicle...
"Badges, we don't need no stinking badges"

Ricky
Quartermaster
Quartermaster

Postby Ricky » Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:04 am

Which is a bugger, as US equipment is more easily available, and generally easier to maintain etc.
-Confucius

-Skua

Ricky
Quartermaster
Quartermaster

Postby Ricky » Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:44 am

Ricky wrote:Some figures so far:

540 individual vehicles are listed
over 250 of these have individual topics
255 of these are recorded in pmvrp.com

Not bad going. The majority of the vehicles we have are American, British or German (not suprising given which nations made the most equipment and the geographical location of the people who are feeding info in ;) )

I've been busy!

648 individual vehicles are listed
305 of these have individual topics
289 of these are recorded in pmvrp.com
-Confucius

-Skua

bf109 Emil
General
General

Postby bf109 Emil » Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:22 pm

I think the lend-lease rule in aircraft forum can be read about a Finnish Brewster Buffalo that was salvaged from a lake in Finland, disappeared and after a court battle was deemed to be US property and i think J Callhoun stated is headed to Pensacola...

bf109 Emil
General
General

Postby bf109 Emil » Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:25 pm

I think the lend-lease rule in aircraft forum can be read about a Finnish Brewster Buffalo that was salvaged from a lake in Finland, disappeared and after a court battle was deemed to be US property and i think J Callhoun stated is headed to Pensacola...
It was lifted from a lake in Russian Karelia in 1998, but then vanished without trace, only to resurface in Pensacola in 2004.
The disputes surrounding the ownership of the aircraft were once again in evidence on Thursday in Tikkakoski, when Marja Lampi, daughter of the late fighter pilot Heimo Lampi (1920-1998), presented her views on what had happened after the wrecked plane was lifted from the bed of Kolejärvi Lake nearly ten years ago.
The Aviation Museum’s Director Kai Mecklin noted that legal experts from the US Navy have provided assurances that the ownership of the plane really does reside with the Americans.

bf109 Emil
General
General

Postby bf109 Emil » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:14 pm

Check these WW2 items for sale...T-34 (2 restored) Panzer half-track, and more....maybe someone can call for the prices, as i am to chicken to even ask what these armour vehicles cpst...http://www.thuringenmilitaria.com/vehicles.html

JCalhoun
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby JCalhoun » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:18 pm

Towards the end of summer I will try to go to NAS Pensacola and visit the museum again. If I can think of it I'll see if I can get some info on the Buffalo.
Professionals built the Titanic, amatuers built the Ark.

bf109 Emil
General
General

Postby bf109 Emil » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:21 pm

any idea what a T-34 will cost???http://www.thuringenmilitaria.com/vehicles.html

Christian Ankerstjerne
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Christian Ankerstjerne » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:24 am

I would expect a running T-34 would go for USD 50 000 - 80 000, depending on model.

JCalhoun
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby JCalhoun » Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:07 am

The price of antique military vehicles is determined the same way it is for antique cars.

The most important factor is condition, followed by originality and rarity. Provenance (sp?), that is being able to prove that the vehicle was at a particular place with a particular unit, will also add to the value.

JCalhoun
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby JCalhoun » Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:57 am

As for the Brewster, if what these articles say is correct, the Naval Air Museum acquired the plane from a group of investors who financed the operation of getting the plane from a warehouse in Ireland to a warehouse in Mobile, Alabama (I had no idea or I would have tried to find it :? ). It turns out that Lend-Lease or any other military had nothing to do with the plane coming to the US as it was privately owned when the Navy bought it.

Check this link ;
http://www.warbirdforum.com/bw372.htm

Not sure how true all that is. I'm hoping the folks at the museum will clear up some of that if/when they reply to my e-mail.

Christian Ankerstjerne
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Christian Ankerstjerne » Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:06 pm

Rarity is much more important that condition. For example, a running Medium Tank, M4 in premium condition is not going to cost nearly as much as a rusty, battle-damaged Tiger II.

Return to “Preserved Military Vehicle Registry Project”