P-51 Mustang operations on aircraft carriers

Discussion on World War 2 in general.
pampa14
Banned

P-51 Mustang operations on aircraft carriers

Postby pampa14 » Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:01 pm

I share with you some photos showing P-51 Mustangs on aircraft carriers. There was a naval version of this plane? To see the photos, visit the link below:

[spam removed]

Cheers.

The Toastinator
Technican 5th Class
Technican 5th Class

Re: P-51 Mustang operations on aircraft carriers

Postby The Toastinator » Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:45 pm

My guess would be that they're mostly not navalised Mustangs but regular ones being transported, it was not uncommon for fighter aircraft to be ferried on carriers to within a safe distance of their final destination then flown there from the carrier. Malta was resupplied with fresh fighter aircraft using this method for example.

That said, in one of the pictures one of the Mustangs does appear to have what looks like an arrestor hook, so it may have been a trial.

(Edit: A quick Google indicates that there was an experimental navalised Mustang, but it seems the type was poorly suited to carrier operations and a combination of that and the end of the war brought any further progress to a halt.)

Ricky
Quartermaster
Quartermaster

Postby Ricky » Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:47 am

The prototype navalised Mustang is one of my modelling convertion projects - I even have a kit standing by, just need to find the time...
"Study the past, if you would divine the future"
-Confucius

"I am pedantic, I'm just being overshadowed by Ricky so it isn't as noticable as it would else have been"
-Skua

Hoosier
Major General
Major General

Postby Hoosier » Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:06 pm

I'm curious as to what it was about the P-51 Mustang that made it 'unsuitable' for navy carrier operations?
Weak landing gear? Structural integrity? Line of sight... such as with the long nose of the F4U Corsair?
--Tim

JCalhoun
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby JCalhoun » Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:11 am

Did the prototypes belong to the USN or the USAAF?
Professionals built the Titanic, amatuers built the Ark.

The Toastinator
Technican 5th Class
Technican 5th Class

Postby The Toastinator » Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:49 am

Hoosier wrote:I'm curious as to what it was about the P-51 Mustang that made it 'unsuitable' for navy carrier operations?
Weak landing gear? Structural integrity? Line of sight... such as with the long nose of the F4U Corsair?
--Tim

According to the article I read, it was a combination of high stall speed and poor low speed handling characteristics which made landing and taking off problematic, plus there was a very narrow gap between the aircraft's stall speed and the maximum speed the arrestor cables could take.

canambridge
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby canambridge » Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:48 am

There was also the more general dislike of water cooled engines over air cooled radials for carrier operations. They were considered less reliable for long over water flights as well as being more maintenance intensive. Lack of folding wings would also have limited the number of aircraft carried.

Return to “World War 2 in General”