Flying Fortress captured

Discussion on World War 2 in general.
pampa14
Banned

Flying Fortress captured

Postby pampa14 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:25 pm

One of the main and most important Allied bombers, the B-17 was sparked interest and greed target of Germans and Japanese during WW2. Inevitably some planes were captured and tested by the enemy. I share with you the link below that has some photos of these planes, some rare, with German and Japanese markings. To see the photos, visit the link below:

[spam removed]

Best Regards.

FNG
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Re: Flying Fortress captured

Postby FNG » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:54 pm

You do wonder how they managed to capture a working plane, especially ones that operate from bases very far behind the lines

FNG
War: God's way of teaching American's geography

TISO
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby TISO » Sat Aug 08, 2015 4:44 pm

Not really. Japanese planes were the ones they got early in the war after Phillipines and NEI (Java mostly) campaigns where they were damaged and left behind. Japanese captured and fixed them. German planes were damaged i.e. crashlanded birds that they managed to fix and get airborne again.
"I am the punishment of God...If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you"
Genghis Kahn

I am not ordering you to attack, I am ordering you to die. Until we die, we can win the time for the arrival of new troops and commanders.
from the order for counter attack from lt.col. Mustafa Kemal to his 57th Brigade on 25th of April 1915 Gallipoli

"I am not without sins. There cannot be an airborne assault general who has no sins. I spit on popularity ratings. I live and serve as I see fit."
Lt. general Lebed Aleksandr Ivanovich

Ricky
Quartermaster
Quartermaster

Postby Ricky » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:14 am

Interestingly bits of crashed US bombers occasionally found their way into prototype aircraft - for example the nosewheels on the Ju 287 prototype were from a B-24
"Study the past, if you would divine the future"
-Confucius

"I am pedantic, I'm just being overshadowed by Ricky so it isn't as noticable as it would else have been"
-Skua

Return to “World War 2 in General”