Better but not much!

Discussion on World War 2 in general.
pampa14
Banned

Better but not much!

Postby pampa14 » Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:44 am

I share with you the history of the medium bomber built by the Douglas should replace a company's success, the B-18 Bolo, but eventually supplanted by its competitors. Does anyone know if the plane came into action during WW2? If so, how was your performance? In the link below you will find a fantastic collection of photos, some of them rare and colorful this amazing bomber.

[spam removed]

Best Regards.

JCalhoun
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Re: Better but not much!

Postby JCalhoun » Sat Dec 05, 2015 2:29 pm

I don't know of any that saw action. I think some saw use as trainers and cargo carriers though.
Professionals built the Titanic, amatuers built the Ark.

canambridge
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby canambridge » Sat Dec 05, 2015 3:51 pm

There were some in the Philippines and some were used for anti-submarine work and coastal patrol. Might have gotten a couple of U-boats.

TISO
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby TISO » Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:59 pm

Bolos were stationed in Phillipines and Havaii at start of the war. Of the Phillipines based some were destroyed in first days of the war (on ground or shot down) survivors were mostly used as transports in Phillipine, NEI and Australia as US had almost no transports there. I know that some were prepared to be used as bombers but i don't know if they were acctually used as such.
Of the rest they were mostly used as anti-submarine planes by US (Hawaii, Alaska, Panama etc.) and RCAF (canadians called them Digby).
Plane as such wasn't bad but flying it against targets protected by japanese fighters would be suicide. AFAIK as anti-sub planes they were good as they had good range and some were equipped with MAD (magnetic anomaly detector)
"I am the punishment of God...If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you"
Genghis Kahn

I am not ordering you to attack, I am ordering you to die. Until we die, we can win the time for the arrival of new troops and commanders.
from the order for counter attack from lt.col. Mustafa Kemal to his 57th Brigade on 25th of April 1915 Gallipoli

"I am not without sins. There cannot be an airborne assault general who has no sins. I spit on popularity ratings. I live and serve as I see fit."
Lt. general Lebed Aleksandr Ivanovich

Return to “World War 2 in General”