Spielburg movie blunder private ryan

Discussion of all history subjects not related to World War 2.
bf109 Emil
General
General

Spielburg movie blunder private ryan

Postby bf109 Emil » Mon May 19, 2008 3:07 am

In 1864, Massachusetts Governor John A. Andrew wrote to President Lincoln concerning one Mrs. Lydia Bixby, a widow who was believed to have lost five sons during the Civil War. Lincoln's letter to her was printed by the Boston Evening Transcript.

The following is the text of the letter:

Executive Mansion,
Washington, Nov. 21, 1864.

Dear Madam,

I have been shown in the files of the War Department a statement of the Adjutant General of Massachusetts that you are the mother of five sons who have died gloriously on the field of battle.

I feel how weak and fruitless must be any word of mine which should attempt to beguile you from the grief of a loss so overwhelming. But I cannot refrain from tendering you the consolation that may be found in the thanks of the Republic they died to save.

I pray that our Heavenly Father may assuage the anguish of your bereavement, and leave you only the cherished memory of the loved and lost, and the solemn pride that must be yours to have laid so costly a sacrifice upon the altar of freedom.

Yours, very sincerely and respectfully,

A. Lincoln

Mrs. Bixby was a Confederate sympathizer, and destroyed the letter shortly after receiving it. It was also later discovered that only two of her five sons, Charles and Oliver Bixby, had died in battle. Of the other sons, one deserted, one was discharged honorably and the third either deserted or died as a POW, according to Abraham Lincoln Online.

The other might be the not so bright picture of oskar schindler, as it was noted in a biography with Amon Gothes wife, he only helped the jews after the battle in the east turned and after stalingrad...but not until the tide had turned on the wehrmacht, as well he was the supplier of the Polish uniforms placed on concentration camp bodies by Heydrich to facilitate the storming of a German radio station by the Polish army...
One source (based on Nazi documents and postwar investigation) contends that he also continued with work for the Abwehr, paving the way for a German invasion of Poland on 1 September 1939.[6
"Badges, we don't need no stinking badges"

wooden major
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Re: Spielburg movie blunder private ryan

Postby wooden major » Mon May 19, 2008 5:09 am

imo ,speilberg is one of the best filmakers of our time and if he has taken a few libertys with historical accuracy to make a great film , so what .

its called artistic liscense and im not aware of any movie based on history ever haveing been made without some skulldugery in the storie line .i personally would prefer that such artistic libertys be kept to a minimum , but remember selling tickets and makeing a profit is important too , if one aspires to have a future in film makeing .

Ricky
Quartermaster
Quartermaster

Postby Ricky » Mon May 19, 2008 7:31 am

wooden major is correct... but I do wish (as he does) that such meddling could be kept to a minimum (or even removed altogether)
"Study the past, if you would divine the future"
-Confucius

"I am pedantic, I'm just being overshadowed by Ricky so it isn't as noticable as it would else have been"
-Skua

Christian Ankerstjerne
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Christian Ankerstjerne » Mon May 19, 2008 8:33 am

Unfortunately, accuracy is a double-edged sword. A completely realistic movie could be made, but it is unlikely that it would do well with the audience. This would mean that the movie would have to be low-budget, limiting the amount of research and original equipment that can be used.

Ricky
Quartermaster
Quartermaster

Postby Ricky » Mon May 19, 2008 8:40 am

Christian Ankerstjerne wrote:Unfortunately, accuracy is a double-edged sword. A completely realistic movie could be made, but it is unlikely that it would do well with the audience.

This is what frustrates me. Why would it do badly? Real life events are usually more interesting and better stories than the 'artistic license' additions.

In my opinion...
"Study the past, if you would divine the future"
-Confucius

"I am pedantic, I'm just being overshadowed by Ricky so it isn't as noticable as it would else have been"
-Skua

ram
General of the Army
General of the Army

Postby ram » Mon May 19, 2008 3:32 pm

Ricky wrote:wooden major is correct... but I do wish (as he does) that such meddling could be kept to a minimum (or even removed altogether)

The fact is these producers of movies are not researching extensively on the kind of movie that they will make IMHO. With the modern technology right now realism is a very beautiful thing to be expressed in the movies specially those that delves with some historical events.
Colors are beautiful and deceiving.

FNG
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Postby FNG » Mon May 19, 2008 4:16 pm

I really really like SPR but I do not think of it as either being factual or a true story. It's just a story, it's just a film.

The problem is that the makers then go on to say "based on a true story" and peeps start believing it.

FNG
War: God's way of teaching American's geography

Grieg
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Grieg » Mon May 19, 2008 7:46 pm

FNG wrote:I really really like SPR but I do not think of it as either being factual or a true story. It's just a story, it's just a film.

The problem is that the makers then go on to say "based on a true story" and peeps start believing it.

FNG

As long as you doesn't get confused about the difference between drama based on history and history you can appreciate both IMO.
Who is John Galt?

bf109 Emil
General
General

Postby bf109 Emil » Mon May 19, 2008 9:37 pm

FNG wrote:I really really like SPR but I do not think of it as either being factual or a true story. It's just a story, it's just a film.

FNG

Gotta agree here 100 % with fng..LOL....like that handle...just that Schindler has almost become a messiah of sorts rather then a Nazi saving his neck...the fact he did spend his ill-gotten loot to achieve this, is almost painted in history or made to point out as if he spent his own hard worked pocket money to gain this title rather then working a race of people to exhaustion...There is an interesting book i had got from the library which was a collection of the stories of the persons whom where saved (so to say) and what they are doing now, how they came to America, and their views of the film...
"Badges, we don't need no stinking badges"

JCalhoun
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby JCalhoun » Mon May 19, 2008 11:56 pm

Films that 100% factual are not movies but are historical documentaries.
Professionals built the Titanic, amatuers built the Ark.

FNG
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Postby FNG » Tue May 20, 2008 6:13 am

JCalhoun wrote:Films that 100% factual are not movies but are historical documentaries.

and also rocking horse droppings

FNG
War: God's way of teaching American's geography

Christian Ankerstjerne
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Christian Ankerstjerne » Tue May 20, 2008 9:32 am

Ricky
The general audience wants action. A lot of military action would involve tons of strategy as well. The after action-reports I have are interesting to read, but they're not exactly action-packed.

FNG
That 'based on a true story'-phrase will always cause a lot of misunderstandings. Take The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, for example, which includes the phrase 'inspired by a true story' - a lot of people actually believe that the events took place.

JCalhoun
Documentaries are rarely, if ever, 100% factual. In fact, I'd say that Saving Private Ryan is a lot more realistic than most documentaries.

Hoosier
Major General
Major General

Postby Hoosier » Tue May 20, 2008 2:36 pm

Credit where credit is due...
Spielberg in the movie Saving Private Ryan made use of a jerky camera-filming technique that made the movie-viewer feel he was a part of the action as well.
When I watched the Omaha beach landing footage on the big-screen, in Dolby Surround, I was literally ducking-down in my chair as bullets snapped and pinged overhead. It nearly overwhelmed the senses. I can think of no-other movie that made such an impression on me as SPR... historical accuracy be damned.

Yes, yes, the Hollywood re-write and profits.
All and all, Spielberg is to be congratulated on bringing the subject(s) of the Second World War to the forefront... and captured in such fantastically realistic fashion.
Not to be confused with the movie "Pearl Harbor" (Touchstone Pictures) which was a typical Hollywood "formula flick" complete with historical inaccuracies, ficticious settings and of course the beautiful leading lady/love interest.

Tim

TISO
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby TISO » Tue May 20, 2008 4:38 pm

Not to be confused with the movie "Pearl Harbor" (Touchstone Pictures) which was a typical Hollywood "formula flick" complete with historical inaccuracies, ficticious settings and of course the beautiful leading lady/love interest.

Don't remind me i acctualy paid the ticket for that film. Pure fiction (not even science fiction). I tought that it would be a remake of a really good old film Tora, tora, tora with all new CGI's and new stuff but instead i wanted to throw up (couple of scenes were good tough).
"I am the punishment of God...If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you"
Genghis Kahn

I am not ordering you to attack, I am ordering you to die. Until we die, we can win the time for the arrival of new troops and commanders.
from the order for counter attack from lt.col. Mustafa Kemal to his 57th Brigade on 25th of April 1915 Gallipoli

"I am not without sins. There cannot be an airborne assault general who has no sins. I spit on popularity ratings. I live and serve as I see fit."
Lt. general Lebed Aleksandr Ivanovich

wooden major
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby wooden major » Tue May 20, 2008 6:31 pm

like tim and tiso , i too was moved to physical action by these great block busters , in SPR i ducked down in my seat ,and at veiwing of pearl harbor i was made to toss my cookies ...( the cg stuff was kool tho }

Return to “General History”