Spielburg movie blunder private ryan

Discussion of all history subjects not related to World War 2.
bf109 Emil
General
General

Re: Spielburg movie blunder private ryan

Postby bf109 Emil » Wed May 21, 2008 7:20 am

Perhaps the most realistic film based on a true story was the destruction of the crematorium at auschwitz in fall of '44...you want to see a film, which turns your stomach, based on the fact it was filmed at auschwitz, and if watched 2x even in the gas-chambers you watch the sonderkommando hosing the bloody finger prints from the walls...the movie is title.."the Grey Zone"
"Badges, we don't need no stinking badges"

TISO
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby TISO » Thu May 22, 2008 10:16 pm

Woody PH is a fiction from a scene where the two heroes take off.
1. P-40N (P-40 depicted in the film) apeared only in 1943
2. Outrunning A6M2 in level flight with P-40B/C or P-36 (both these types took off in PH) is just a good joke
3. Japanese loses were much smaller than those depicted in the move especcialy those of A6M2's and especcialy in dogfights
4. japanese fighters were NOT machinegunning the sailors in the sea as they were busy destroying the air force bases
5. US airman from the eagle squadron invalided out of RAF and immediatly sent to US and commisioned back USAAF never heard of such thing
6. Every P-40 pilot also knew how to pilot a B-25 YEAH right
7. Wooden add on a japanese torpedo was designed to brake off after hitting the water
"I am the punishment of God...If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you"
Genghis Kahn

I am not ordering you to attack, I am ordering you to die. Until we die, we can win the time for the arrival of new troops and commanders.
from the order for counter attack from lt.col. Mustafa Kemal to his 57th Brigade on 25th of April 1915 Gallipoli

"I am not without sins. There cannot be an airborne assault general who has no sins. I spit on popularity ratings. I live and serve as I see fit."
Lt. general Lebed Aleksandr Ivanovich

Revere
Captain
Captain

Postby Revere » Thu May 22, 2008 11:19 pm

lol yeah i wasnt really much a fan of pearl harbor....saving private ryan and band of brothers were good movies tho.
I speak Spanish to God, Italian to women, French to men, and German to my horse.
-Charles V, Holy Roman Emperor

A Government that can do every thing for you, can take everything from you.
-Abraham Lincoln

wooden major
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby wooden major » Fri May 23, 2008 3:56 am

but the part where afleck leads the zeke past the control tower so sarge can bag him with the BAR ...that really happened right , tiso ? or the part where afleck and his buddy break hard , head on , and the three chaseing zeros all collide with each other headon ...its funny tiso , i noticed every item on your PH bullshit list when i watched it too (except the p40 being the wrong model )..my family and freinds hate watching war movies with me because i keep telling everyone what is complete bullshit in every scene , im afraid during the PH veiwing i was never quiet thru the whole movie ...

Ricky
Quartermaster
Quartermaster

Postby Ricky » Fri May 23, 2008 7:45 am

wooden major wrote:my family and freinds hate watching war movies with me because i keep telling everyone what is complete bullshit in every scene , im afraid during the PH veiwing i was never quiet thru the whole movie ...

This is why nobody I know even bothered to ask me if I wanted to go see it :mrgreen:
"Study the past, if you would divine the future"
-Confucius

"I am pedantic, I'm just being overshadowed by Ricky so it isn't as noticable as it would else have been"
-Skua

wooden major
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby wooden major » Fri May 23, 2008 8:28 am

lol ,ricky , i guess us history buffs are poor company at movies ..well war movies and action movies mabey ...they say most theater ticket buyers are young teens in the USA today ..they surly do make lottsa dumb movies .

TISO
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby TISO » Fri May 23, 2008 5:04 pm

my family and freinds hate watching war movies with me because i keep telling everyone what is complete bullshit in every scene , im afraid during the PH veiwing i was never quiet thru the whole movie ...

E tu Brutus? Welcome to the club :twisted: Only my sisters kid can stand me when watching the war movies (same kind of idiot as his uncle)

but the part where afleck leads the zeke past the control tower so sarge can bag him with the BAR ...that really happened right , tiso ? or the part where afleck and his buddy break hard , head on , and the three chaseing zeros all collide with each other headon

Not worth a comment on serious forum like this one. In that scene I was just waiting for unicorns, goblins, little green man from Mars... to apear.
"I am the punishment of God...If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you"
Genghis Kahn

I am not ordering you to attack, I am ordering you to die. Until we die, we can win the time for the arrival of new troops and commanders.
from the order for counter attack from lt.col. Mustafa Kemal to his 57th Brigade on 25th of April 1915 Gallipoli

"I am not without sins. There cannot be an airborne assault general who has no sins. I spit on popularity ratings. I live and serve as I see fit."

sinissa
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Postby sinissa » Fri May 23, 2008 8:49 pm

Not worth a comment on serious forum like this one. In that scene I was just waiting for unicorns, goblins, little green man from Mars... to apear.

I rather take Gremlins,remember the time of events :mrgreen:
Few good war movies, but sadly not on English. One is "Tai Guk Gi: Brotherhood of War" south Korean movie about their civil war. Maybe it is bit pumped with action, but i really liked it. Second is Russian "Zvezda" ,WW2 film,with impressive amount of realistic. From Hollywood production i like the "Kelly's heroes" but not from realistic aspect :mrgreen:

To main topic: did not look the movie,and i don't desire to do.

wooden major
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby wooden major » Sat May 24, 2008 4:30 am

there is a series of clips on youtube made by a russian movie outfit , very gritty and reaistic ,whats that guys name and is this a full length movie ? imo , much better than enemy at the gates or the recent german prodution about stalingrad .

my hollywood favorutes are platoon ,SPR ,thin red line ,BOB , blue max ,zulu ,pork chop hill ,english patient ,the pianist , shindlers list , dances with wolves , gladiator ,far side of the world ,12 oclock high ,das boot , jarheads ..

i heard that tom hanks was makeing a BOB sequel about us marines in SWP , is this still in production , anyone ?

canambridge
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby canambridge » Sat May 24, 2008 4:47 am

I can't find anything more recent than this from last December:

http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=127242

sinissa
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Postby sinissa » Sat May 24, 2008 8:21 am

Actualy enemy at the gates is classic Hollywood crap ,my humble opinion. It started like good movie,but more i look it i was more disapointed. Especialy when i sow that boy,who acted as best double spy ,in short pants,and whit perl white toots ,while the rest of Russian army freezed to death in chubby coats. Allso there u need to see reaction from russians for the movie,it is not much betther then mine.

And i heard for that German movie about stalingrad,but did not seen him yet.

TISO
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby TISO » Sat May 24, 2008 12:51 pm

my hollywood favorutes are platoon ,SPR ,thin red line ,BOB , blue max ,zulu ,pork chop hill ,english patient ,the pianist , shindlers list , dances with wolves , gladiator ,far side of the world ,12 oclock high ,das boot , jarheads ..

Das boot was Petersens pre Hollywood movie. Even better is a miniseries which was base for the movie (movie is just few scenes from the series). It really shows that is from his pre.Hollywood era (realism etc)
Pork chop hill??? Do you mean Hamburger hill (IMHO the best movie about Vietnam) much better than Platoon (not bad itself)

Thin red line is significant as they managed to massacer original book (very good book in my opinion) to the point that one asks himself what does this film have in common with the book (almost nothing).

Russian films are mostly low budget affairs but are suprisingly good. I really liked Zvezda (Star) and Devetaya rota.
Another low budget war movie that is IMHO really good is When trumpets fade.

Kelly's heroes was filmed in Yugoslavia. Acctually one of few movies of the era where they even tried to dress up a tank to look similar to the Tiger (others just used Pattons with balkenkreuze). Also impressive list of stars apeared in the film.

Also one must not forget Cross of iron 1 (directed by Sam Peckinpah). Only mistake i could find were Soviets riding a FAP truck and singing "Oj Kozaro" (jugoslav truck and jugoslav partisan song).

And Soviet era epic "Batlle of Kursk". A true megalomanic film from the 60's.
German film Stalingrad is a really good film telling the story from the german side.
Genghis Kahn

sinissa
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Postby sinissa » Sat May 24, 2008 2:32 pm

Kelly's heroes was filmed in Yugoslavia. Acctually one of few movies of the era where they even tried to dress up a tank to look similar to the Tiger (others just used Pattons with balkenkreuze). Also impressive list of stars apeared in the film.

Yes it was T-34. U can see that turet is in front of tank, not in middle like on tiger,position of MG,etc,etc bunch of small things,witch only guys like us can notice. For major population,u can put Abrams in tiger role and nobody will notice.

If i remember in Top gun,r something like that, Hollywood presented Migs using F-4 Fantom if i remember good.It was hilarius :mrgreen:

Revere
Captain
Captain

Postby Revere » Sat May 24, 2008 5:28 pm

brotherhood of war is a great movie, one of my favriotes.
I speak Spanish to God, Italian to women, French to men, and German to my horse.
-Charles V, Holy Roman Emperor

A Government that can do every thing for you, can take everything from you.
-Abraham Lincoln

Hoosier
Major General
Major General

Postby Hoosier » Sun May 25, 2008 2:11 am

sinissa:
Pork Chop Hill recounted an assault in the Korean War... towards the end of the war when we were fighting the Chinese in the mountains and the battle-lines were mostly static. Gregory Peck starred in this film made in 1959.
Oddly enough, I still remember the first time I saw this film, I was at a friends' house whose dad was a Korean War vet. He took a bullet through the hip, and later served as the local Postmaster at the post office. My dad is also a Korean War veteran.

I also like Kelly's Heroes and rank it highly. Not sure why. The cast, the story... I'm not sure.
The real giveaway on that "Tiger" are the track links and the wheels--not interleaved road-wheels--still, not a badly done copy for the time... and much better than most.

In Top Gun, I believe they used Northrup F-5 "Freedom Fighters"--the export for NATO allies... not the beloved F-4 Phantom.
From memory...

Tim

Return to “General History”