Spielburg movie blunder private ryan

Discussion of all history subjects not related to World War 2.
Revere
Captain
Captain

Re: Spielburg movie blunder private ryan

Postby Revere » Sun May 25, 2008 6:15 pm

the worst hollywood movie historically is battle of the bulge, i watched it and was like what? there is a battle in a desert with mountains in the background and this is supposed to be belgium?
I speak Spanish to God, Italian to women, French to men, and German to my horse.
-Charles V, Holy Roman Emperor

A Government that can do every thing for you, can take everything from you.
-Abraham Lincoln

sinissa
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Postby sinissa » Sun May 25, 2008 11:10 pm

In Top Gun, I believe they used Northrup F-5 "Freedom Fighters"--the export for NATO allies... not the beloved F-4 Phantom.
From memory...

Long time was when i sow that movie and im not much of expert on US 50-80's planes era. I just remember that was 2 engined single tail plane. Btw,when i remember bit betther it was not "top gun" ,it was movie when US ans USSR worst pilots gatthered together for join action...Action-comedy i forgot movie name.

Pork Chop Hill recounted an assault in the Korean War... towards the end of the war when we were fighting the Chinese in the mountains and the battle-lines were mostly static. Gregory Peck starred in this film made in 1959.

Why is this adressed to me?

Btw,nobody say anything about Korean Tae Guk Gi: The Brotherhood of War ,excelent movie by all standards.

Problem with hollywood movies in general is that they r prone to one side present at totaly good guys and other and satan worshipers in best case. Get simple exsample of "300" where spartans and greeks was presented as moral, and any other aspect superior mans,and Persians as total (and real) animals. "Immortals" unit was presented as orcs in LOTR , and u can see then how they really looked...

Ricky
Quartermaster
Quartermaster

Postby Ricky » Mon May 26, 2008 9:51 am

sinissa wrote:simple exsample of "300"

To be fair, '300' was based pretty accurately on a Graphic Novel. However, I do agree with your point ;)
"Study the past, if you would divine the future"
-Confucius

"I am pedantic, I'm just being overshadowed by Ricky so it isn't as noticable as it would else have been"
-Skua

dave
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Postby dave » Mon May 26, 2008 10:29 am

Ricky wrote:
sinissa wrote:simple exsample of "300"

To be fair, '300' was based pretty accurately on a Graphic Novel. However, I do agree with your point ;)

300 is one of my favourite films.

But back to historical films

Has anyone else seen Days of Glory, it is a French film about Moroccans and Algerians who served with the Free French during the Second World War.
Really good film, reminds me of When Trumpets Fade and another favourite of mine Taegukgi

A film called Assembly (Ji jie hao being its Chinese name) is about the Chinese civil war. though I haven't seen it yet, it looks very promising

Hoosier
Major General
Major General

Postby Hoosier » Mon May 26, 2008 12:41 pm

sinissa:
You made a reference to Pork Chop Hill?... saying "you mean Hamburger Hill?"
Nope, two different movies.

Tim

Revere
Captain
Captain

Postby Revere » Mon May 26, 2008 6:05 pm

sinissa wrote:[quote.

Btw,nobody say anything about Korean Tae Guk Gi: The Brotherhood of War ,excelent movie by all standards.

[/quote]

i mentioned it awhile back looks like you didnt read all the posts:) still the best movie aobut the korean war to date, but i have not seen pork chop hill.
I speak Spanish to God, Italian to women, French to men, and German to my horse.

-Abraham Lincoln

Revere
Captain
Captain

Postby Revere » Mon May 26, 2008 6:06 pm

Revere wrote:
sinissa wrote:

i mentioned it awhile back looks like you didnt read all the posts:) still the best movie aobut the korean war to date, but i have not seen pork chop hill.

-Abraham Lincoln

sinissa
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Postby sinissa » Mon May 26, 2008 8:45 pm

Hoosier wrote:sinissa:
You made a reference to Pork Chop Hill?... saying "you mean Hamburger Hill?"
Nope, two different movies.

Tim

I think it was TISO not me who made that reference.
Revere wrote:
Revere wrote:
sinissa wrote:

Sry i missed that :mrgreen:

Hoosier
Major General
Major General

Postby Hoosier » Tue May 27, 2008 12:22 am

sinissa:
You're quite right... it was TISO.
No wonder you were confused...
;)
Tim

siberian Black
Private First Class
Private First Class

Postby siberian Black » Tue May 27, 2008 12:54 am

Hoosier wrote:In Top Gun, I believe they used Northrup F-5 "Freedom Fighters"--the export for NATO allies... not the beloved F-4 Phantom.
From memory...

Tim

'Thuds' portraying Phantoms? Not the brightest developers..

Except I don't remember any 'F-4s' used in the movie....unless I'm thinking of a different one (Poor Goose, he was way better than what's-his-faces character)
I'll see *you* at the top.

bf109 Emil
General
General

Postby bf109 Emil » Wed May 28, 2008 1:37 am

Schindler documentary and stories told by his widow Emilie, Amon Goeth's widow (particularly interesting her views on Amon and Oskar) Leopold and Herman Rosner, and Richard Rechen whose task it was to transport Schindler to safety at wars end, and interesting notes when the brakes on Schindlers car went out on a steep hill and drove into a group of SS and Wehrmacht all trying to evade Russian capture...i gathered this B and White documentary from my library, as might be available in others in the 940.547709 section of movies and films.....
Perhaps untrue but Amons wifes views on Oskar changing his love only after Stalingrad and the tide had turned seems interesting, as was the start of the movie of documentary which states the Polish uniforms used by Heydrich to start WW2 by an attack on a radio station inside german boundary, where supplied by Oskar Schindler to begin the Polish invasion...
"Badges, we don't need no stinking badges"

wooden major
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby wooden major » Wed May 28, 2008 5:52 am

imo , speilberg seems to portray shindler as a profiteer first and a reluctant humanitarian second .i think shindler would have been in real trouble if the gestapo were to learn of his selecting rabbis in such high numbers as skilled metal workers .whatever historical libertys may have been taken by speilberg ,this great movie has brought the horrors of the nazi death camps to life for millions of veiwers as no other film in history could ever hope to acheive .

bf109 Emil
General
General

Postby bf109 Emil » Wed May 28, 2008 8:53 pm

yes i agree, but if one wants to see a movie which portraits death camps in their real light, has anyone scene..."The Grey Zone"...a good list of actors...Harvey Keitel, David Arquette,,Steve Buschemi ,Mira Sorvino

I included a clip of how the Germans used sonderkommando's to do their work, while prepairing a group prior to being gassed...WARNING, THIS IS VERY GRAPHIC...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9tSa2xYABY&feature=related

PART 5 OF 5 OF "THE GREY ZONE" movie

another clip detailing from the movie "The Grey Zone" from 2min 10 seconds to 2 min 30 seconds on how Sonderkommando's where used to doing the Germans dirty work...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qz4RJlQYQ7Y&feature=related
Last edited by bf109 Emil on Wed May 28, 2008 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Christian Ankerstjerne
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Christian Ankerstjerne » Wed May 28, 2008 10:29 pm

bf109 Emil
I happened to buy The Grey Zone second-hand, not knowing what to expect. As you wrote, it is a very powerful movie.

I can also recomment the Finnish movie Ambush.

bf109 Emil
General
General

Postby bf109 Emil » Wed May 28, 2008 11:04 pm

I will look for this movie, does the Finnish movie "Ambush" include sub-titles or an english version??
is this the movie, as the trailer look like it would be wonderfulhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzW8hEmcrgY

Return to “General History”