Crimea / Ukraine

Discussion of all history subjects not related to World War 2.
TISO
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Re: Crimea / Ukraine

Postby TISO » Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:20 pm

Interestingly Systema Perimetr (dead hand or you can kill us but we will kil you anyway) was only implied by the russians and IRRC only mentioned once trough a connected reporter (when US was saying it reserves itself option of nucler first strike) and never openly stated untill now:
http://rt.com/news/236573-russia-repel-nuclear-strike/
"I am the punishment of God...If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you"
Genghis Kahn

I am not ordering you to attack, I am ordering you to die. Until we die, we can win the time for the arrival of new troops and commanders.
from the order for counter attack from lt.col. Mustafa Kemal to his 57th Brigade on 25th of April 1915 Gallipoli

"I am not without sins. There cannot be an airborne assault general who has no sins. I spit on popularity ratings. I live and serve as I see fit."
Lt. general Lebed Aleksandr Ivanovich

Sadurian
Corporal
Corporal

Postby Sadurian » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:55 pm

TISO wrote:
Sadurian wrote:In another piece of 'Russians are so predictable' news:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-31669061

Politician who spoke out over his opposition to the war in the Ukraine is assassinated. I say 'assassinated' rather than 'murdered' because even Putin's spokesman says that it 'bears all the hallmarks of a contract killing'. Cynics might point out that he should know.

Always ak yourself who benefits. It's certanly not Putin for whom he was a pet opositioneer. Not really dangerous and not really anoying but necessary as windowdresing.

Who benefits? Putin does.

1. He gets rid of a popular opposition figure, and in doing so destabilises the opposition.
2. He gets the opportunity to blame someone for the killing and thus have revenge on yet another opponent. A sort of 2-for-1 deal.
3. He gets to attempt to unite the opposition forces with the government in a move against the accused killers. The anti-Ukraine war march gets changed into a march where Putin can infiltrate his own people, note the large number of Russian flags in the march as opposed to the tiny number of Ukraine flags, a ratio that is unlikely to have been the case in the original march.
4. He gets to implicitly threaten all others who openly speak out against his rule.
5. He gets to semi-legitimately seize the laptop and all data from Nemtsov, thus learning what Nemtsov knows and possibly where it came from.
6. He gets to relax over the possibility that Nemtsov was about to reveal evidence of direct Russian involvement in the Ukraine.
7. He gets to increase his control of the population with more severe 'law-enforcement', thus taking more steps towards a police state.
8. He gets to reinforce his 'hardman' macho image with his close hangers-on.

Yeah. Putin benefits. So far all the evidence is backing up the theory that this is a government hit. I'm just surprised that Putin hasn't posed for a topless hunting photo with Nemtsov's dead body.

TISO
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby TISO » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:59 pm

1. He was not really popular. He was economist in Yeltsin goverment and thus forever tainted by the dissasters of economic polices of the 90's. He was a dream oppositionist for Putin i.e tainted by the dissasters of 1990's representing everything that still causes most russians to curse Yeltsins name - translated not dangerous political lightweight whose death couses real problems for Putin
2. That goes both ways. Putin Will be blamed for it by the wast no matter who did it so this killing definitly doesn't benefit Putin
3. I agree that this is attempt to unite opposition but whos attempt it is still not clear. IMHO opposition is well pentrated by FSB so i fail to see your point. Putins problem is that he is seen to soft on Ukraine by most of the opposition (with exception of really small foreign NGO funded minority) with communists and nationalists really taking the point here.
4. IMHO not necessary
5. Ha, ha, ha. Probably copied by FSB long ago.
6. A bit of a joke as no US satelites nor cameras (every cellphone nowdays has one and if anything is certain it is the fact that nobody is shy of using them there) coudn't pick up "massive RF army involment" hell even Ukranians now say it is not true and Nemcov will provide proof all by himself.
7. You are projecting standard US "strategies of tension" thinking here.
8. Huh he is already that

All things considered Nemtsov was not worth a bullet and his murder represents real problem for Putin especcially in PR department. Basicly he will be blamed for it by the west anyway even if proved otherwise.
"I am the punishment of God...If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you"
Genghis Kahn

I am not ordering you to attack, I am ordering you to die. Until we die, we can win the time for the arrival of new troops and commanders.
from the order for counter attack from lt.col. Mustafa Kemal to his 57th Brigade on 25th of April 1915 Gallipoli

"I am not without sins. There cannot be an airborne assault general who has no sins. I spit on popularity ratings. I live and serve as I see fit."

TISO
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby TISO » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:00 pm

Good analysis from russian point of view which is quite open about some problems (some LNR units refusing to fight due to disagreament/infighting between LNR and Mighty Don cossak host, problems with discipline etc.):
The battle for Debalcevo. Results
http://cassad-eng.livejournal.com/132367.html#cutid1

BTW
article uses AFU for armed forces of Ukraine and AFN for armed forces of Novorossiya
Genghis Kahn

TISO
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby TISO » Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:11 am

Interview with a man who served on BUK launcher No.312 in ukranian army (3. divizion, 1.battery, vehicle no.2):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTaCbmX4ffQ#t=219
3rd divizion (artilery equvalent of battalion) was originaly stationed in Lugansk. When problems started it was transfered to field near Kematorsk. There No.312 was gutted by internal fire and was transfered by truck (as it was incapable to drive) from Krematorsk to field in village Nova Grigoryevka (Dnepropetrovsk oblast).
Genghis Kahn

TISO
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby TISO » Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:32 pm

Genghis Kahn

canambridge
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby canambridge » Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:39 pm

Putin reveals secrets of Russia's Crimea takeover plot

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-31796226

But of course Russia has no designs on Ukraine.

TISO
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby TISO » Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:02 pm

Schemes of platoon-level AFU strongholds
http://cassad-eng.livejournal.com/137696.html#cutid1

Note from the translator:

The language used in the schemes is not Ukrainian but a rather peculiar kind of Surzhyk. For instance, the word "bee" in Ukrainian is бджола (pronounced as "bdzhola") but the scheme uses the Russian word "пчела" (pronounced "pchela") instead. Another instance – the word "spear" in Ukrainian is either "спис" or "ратище", but the scheme uses the Russian word "копье" instead.

These minor details are a nice window into what Ukraine really is and what kind of language and culture "the real Ukrainians" in the ATO actually have. The patchwork of stuff is quite different from the image of the monolithic "Ukrainian nation" that the western propaganda and the Kiev thugs who captured the government try to present to the world. And yes, the Wikipedia lies when it says that 11–18% people in Ukraine speak Surzhyk. The true percentage is much higher.
Genghis Kahn

TISO
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby TISO » Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:22 pm

BBC probably cited russian version of this blog entry:
http://cassad-eng.livejournal.com/136567.html#cutid1
The documentary "Crimea. The Path to the Motherland" was announced, where they plan to unveil some of the details of the Russian participation in the Crimean events associated with the rescue of Yanukovich and with "the polite people" on the occasion of the first anniversary of Crimea's reuniting with Russia. The trailer has an interesting confession that the actual decision was made between February 22 and 23.

"I invited the leaders of our special services, the ministry of defense into the Kremlin and gave them a task of saving the life of the president of Ukraine, otherwise he would be simply eliminated... High-caliber machine-guns were set up there, to avoid lengthy discussions. We prepared to pull him right from Donetsk, by land, by sea, and by air... This was between the 22nd and the 23rd, we finished at about 7am. And when we were parting I told to all of my colleagues: we have been forced to start working on returning Crimea into Russia," (c) Putin
Genghis Kahn

TISO
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby TISO » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:59 pm

It seems there was spontaneus uprising of population in a town of Konstantinovka after a drunk ukranian MT-LB crew sverved on sidewalk and killed a 8yaear old child on the spot and a woman who died later in the hospital. As per reports there was a lot of shooting but uprising was put down by detachment of ukranian 2-3 battalion sized combat groups detached from operational group that is massing in the area for spring offensive and SBU is now arresting population. NAF sources claimed that they were unble to help the population due to ceasefire agreament and even later claimed that small recce/diversionary units were dispatched but were pushed back as the UAF is massing in the area for spring offensive.

UAF is now massing for offensive operations in Artyomovsk and Bakhmutka. And ceasefire is reguraly broken with mortar and small arms fire on NAF positions.

Also it seems that someone is trying to bump off prominent NAF commanders as a series of assasination attempts is being done in Novorossiya (last being an attempt on "Somali" battalion comander "Givi"). This could be SBU or/and criminals in their midst that NAF is now actively supressing (last one was arrest commander "Mutni" - Murky and his unit in town of Makeyevka).

Also NAF has huge problems with criminal elements. This is interesting as it comes from NAF sources:
http://cassad-eng.livejournal.com/151166.html#cutid1
5. Active work against crime continues in the DPR. They catch the "expropriators" and the "goons". The activity of the security structures on this direction is booming. Certain "expropriated" automobiles were revealed on the territory of the RF during the investigative measures, where they were actively moved during summer-autumn of 2014 within the confines of the local "business". It is also expected that the facts of stealing money allocated for salaries of militia fighters won't be left without consideration, because the complaints from the fighters of certain units were filed with the corresponding DPR organs. The work in this direction revealed one problem: anarchy and chaos ended up too entrenched in order to overcome them quickly and decisively. Despite the systemic nature and the strictness of measures that were taken, the is still a huge number of problems on this direction. A whole criminal class of sorts formed in the NAF rear, which has a lot of weapons (and sometimes even armor) in its hands, doesn't fight, but rather engages in business of varying degrees of criminality. This is somewhat reminiscent of Chechnya of late 90s.

6. The number of Chechens in Donbass increased again. Yet another group of "volunteers" arrived recently. According to one version they came as a part of the preparation for repelling a possible junta strike. According to another version, Kadyrov is trying to make up for the "chechen trace" in the Nemtsov case, which led to a conflict with the participation of the part of security organs. Overall, they won't be in excess on the eve of the upcoming events, in large part because the AFU still have an irrational fear of Chechens, which was used by some NAF units who pretended to be Chechens with the goal of demoralising the enemy.

The last sentance in quote is interesting as you can see in many videos where rusian/novorissian NAF soldiers are yelling "Allah uakbar" and imitate chechen accents to mess with UAF soldiers. Also a bit off topic RE irrational fears, russian armed forces in Chehnya had same fears of mythical "white tights" i.e. supposed female latvian snipers (none were ever found) and latvian shooters also have historically quite a reputation among russians (like Bulgarians have with bayonet fighting in the Balkans).

Also it seems that infighting between ukranian oligarhs is comming to a head especcialy in case of fighting for state oil company Ukrnafta. Kholomoisky occupied HQ of oil company with his merc-s and has now stepped down as governor of Dnepropetrovsk oblast:
http://rt.com/news/243785-poroshenko-fires-kolomoysky-ukraine/
http://cassad-eng.livejournal.com/150328.html#cutid1
Genghis Kahn

TISO
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby TISO » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:35 pm

Something for Sadurian
SOVIET WAR EXPERIENCE:
A Deception Case Study by Glantz i.e. 1988 translation of document from Sbornik materialov po izucheniiu opyta voiny, No. 5 March 1943:
http://www.google.fi/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CC8QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dtic.mil%2Fcgi-bin%2FGetTRDoc%3FAD%3DADA216428&ei=kvdCUqvqJauQ4gSioYGIDQ&usg=AFQjCNEkue_SqdScDmVFtHFqbrKPSJUkKg&bvm=bv.53077864,d.bGE
Genghis Kahn

TISO
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby TISO » Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:04 pm

Interesting short interview with former SVR general Reshetnikov, who now leads the RISR analytical center:
http://cassad-eng.livejournal.com/153079.html#cutid1

BTW:
SVR is Sluzhba Vneshney Razvedki (Слу́жба вне́шней разве́дки) i.e. Foreign inteligence service of Russian Federation
Genghis Kahn

TISO
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby TISO » Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:44 pm

Genghis Kahn

TISO
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby TISO » Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:58 pm

Could be of interest entire structure of "Azov" regiment as of march 2015 (18й ПОпН "Азов" в/ч 3057 = 18th POpN "Azov" unit number: 3057):
Unfortunantly only in russian (use translator):
http://colonelcassad.livejournal.com/2142177.html#cutid1

Structure of Ukranian nacguards:
http://colonelcassad.livejournal.com/2141341.html

It seems that epidemy of death among former politicians not friendly to nazis is continuing. In Kiev former MP Oleg Kalshniov of pary of region was shot and killed:
http://www.polit.ru/news/2015/04/15/kalashnikov_killed/

english translation can be found here:
http://www.sott.net/article/295277-Former-Ukrainian-MP-assassinated-in-Kiev
Genghis Kahn

TISO
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby TISO » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:32 pm

It seems that we should turn or gaze on Kyrgizistan now as 150 tonns of "diplomatic mail" were delivered and "Nuland prototype" was hurridly recalled from retirement to take the post of charge d’affaires in Kyrgyzstan:
http://orientalreview.org/2015/03/05/the-male-nuland-and-the-us-central-asian-strategy-i/

http://www.sott.net/article/295268-Color-revolution-in-the-making-US-Embassy-in-Kyrgyzstan-receives-150-tons-of-diplomatic-mail
Genghis Kahn

Return to “General History”