Define a Tank

Discussion of all history subjects not related to World War 2.
Ricky
Quartermaster
Quartermaster

Define a Tank

Postby Ricky » Thu May 29, 2014 9:13 am

Now we've had long 'discussions' before where we basically agreed that you can't define a tank by its physical characteristics, as there are non-tanks that share some (turrets, tracks, armour, etc) and tanks that don't (turrets!)

So the solution was that what makes a tank a tank is its intended role.

So... let's write a statement that can be applied to any tank, but not to any other vehicle.

Who is up for the challenge?
"Study the past, if you would divine the future"
-Confucius

"I am pedantic, I'm just being overshadowed by Ricky so it isn't as noticable as it would else have been"
-Skua

SturmTiger

Re: Define a Tank

Postby SturmTiger » Thu May 29, 2014 11:33 am

Nothing crosses a trench better.Impervious to most man-portable weaponry.
Member Since 2/17/2004

lynn1212
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby lynn1212 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:53 am

major main gun with coax, heavy armor, closed top turret , tracked, designed for combat at flat trajectory ranges and under fire from almost any weapon common to the battlefield.

Ricky
Quartermaster
Quartermaster

Postby Ricky » Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:14 pm

I like ST's definiton, but I can think of many tanks that fail it (Vickers Light, for example)

lynn's has similar problems - many early tanks did not have turrets, and there are a fair few tanks without co-axial mgs (some marks of the Valantine for example) or without a 'major main gun' - like the Matilda I.

What we need is something more like:

[quote=Ricky]A tracked vehicle intended to be survivable in the Front Line (or FEBA if you prefer), whose primary purpose is to attack and destroy the enemy by use of direct fire[/quote]

I'm sure you can pick holes in that - so try making it better
"Study the past, if you would divine the future"
-Confucius

"I am pedantic, I'm just being overshadowed by Ricky so it isn't as noticable as it would else have been"
-Skua

Roel
Former Administrator
Former Administrator

Postby Roel » Fri May 15, 2015 10:14 pm

Ricky wrote:A tracked vehicle intended to be survivable in the Front Line (or FEBA if you prefer), whose primary purpose is to attack and destroy the enemy by use of direct fire

Assault guns fit this definition. So do tank destroyers like the Jagdpanther or the SU-85.

I think the main thing that makes a tank a tank is that it isn't something else more specific. But if we define it as a tracked armoured combat vehicle that isn't a tank destroyer or infantry support weapon, we run into that pesky early war Cruiser Tank/Infantry Tank divide...
"The Athenians were born neither to have peace, nor to let others have it"
- Thucydides

JCalhoun
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby JCalhoun » Sat May 16, 2015 6:05 pm

I usually think of tanks as tracked, armored combat vehicles that are primarily used to defeat enemy armor or strong points with some sort of powerful weaponry.
Professionals built the Titanic, amatuers built the Ark.

Return to “General History”