Trivia question

Discussion of all history subjects not related to World War 2.
dutchman
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Trivia question

Postby dutchman » Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:02 am

Okay folks one more question for you.

What was a "King's broad arrow pine"?

If you have to use the internet go ahead, but give folks a few days to try to answer without looking it up.

Thanks,

Ricky
Quartermaster
Quartermaster

Re: Trivia question

Postby Ricky » Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:03 am

Hmm. I could at least make an educated guess at New Ireland, but this has me stumped
"Study the past, if you would divine the future"
-Confucius

"I am pedantic, I'm just being overshadowed by Ricky so it isn't as noticable as it would else have been"
-Skua

dutchman
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Re: Trivia question

Postby dutchman » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:42 am

Okay folks here's the answer.

The Kings Broad Arrow Pines was from pre revolutionary War times. The King of England, Charles III decided that he would hold in reserve the best white pines in Maine for the masts of the naval ships England so needed to control and keep secure their empire. These trees were very strong and would grow to over 200 feet in height. So he ordered them marked with an "arrow" which was done by 3 strikes of a hatchet after the bark was removed at the site. To cut these would risk a fine of 200 pounds. They also added to the frustration of the colonist as they were not allowed to harvest them. It was felt to be as unjust as the tea tax. The last Kings Broad Arrow Pine was felled in 1964 near the town of Ashland Maine. The trunk of it resides in a lumberman's museum there. The museum is only a few hours from my home and yet I have never visited it. I'll have to get on that!

Return to “General History”