Russian T-14 'Armata'

Discussion of all history subjects not related to World War 2.
Hoosier
Major General
Major General

Russian T-14 'Armata'

Postby Hoosier » Thu May 07, 2015 9:02 pm

This news story suggests the Russians have a new MBT that they think is superior to the Abrams and Challenger.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... -down.html

"It has a remotely-controlled turret with an automatic loading system and an armored capsule for the three-man crew."
--Tim
Last edited by Hoosier on Fri May 08, 2015 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

jeaguer
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Re: Russian T-14 'Armata'

Postby jeaguer » Fri May 08, 2015 1:40 am

well , I know it's petty and this thing do happen, during the rehearsal one broke down :?
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-32628236

The T14 is the tank , the chassis is the Armata , it's supposedly to be used for a range of armor from AA to self propelled
typical Russian thinking , keep the logistics simple

Ricky
Quartermaster
Quartermaster

Postby Ricky » Fri May 08, 2015 8:06 am

I bet that driver is currently busy digging latrines! ;)

Looks to me like that turret is one giant shot trap, particularly with those smoke dischargers:

Also - signal flags? Did I wake up in the 1930s by mistake?
"Study the past, if you would divine the future"
-Confucius

"I am pedantic, I'm just being overshadowed by Ricky so it isn't as noticable as it would else have been"
-Skua

TISO
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby TISO » Sat May 09, 2015 1:00 pm

jeaguer wrote:.
well , I know it's petty and this thing do happen, during the rehearsal one broke down :?
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-32628236

The T14 is the tank , the chassis is the Armata , it's supposedly to be used for a range of armor from AA to self propelled
typical Russian thinking , keep the logistics simple

IMHO driver failure (it's always the pilot/driver) as tank moved after 15 minutes under own power. Probably tranfered in north military district by now ordered to clean the thundra floor of pine needles.
"I am the punishment of God...If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you"
Genghis Kahn

I am not ordering you to attack, I am ordering you to die. Until we die, we can win the time for the arrival of new troops and commanders.
from the order for counter attack from lt.col. Mustafa Kemal to his 57th Brigade on 25th of April 1915 Gallipoli

"I am not without sins. There cannot be an airborne assault general who has no sins. I spit on popularity ratings. I live and serve as I see fit."
Lt. general Lebed Aleksandr Ivanovich

jeaguer
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Postby jeaguer » Wed May 13, 2015 12:40 am

I'm very puzzled by the turret , there seems to be a huge shot trap on the left side ,a smaller one on the right
the whole structure seems to be covered with thin steel plates ??!! , is this the real profile or is it some decoy ?

Ricky
Quartermaster
Quartermaster

Postby Ricky » Wed May 13, 2015 7:59 am

jeaguer wrote:.
is this the real profile or is it some decoy ?

Like a shell placed on top? Could be, but that would leave very little actual room for a real turret...?
-Confucius

"I am pedantic, I'm just being overshadowed by Ricky so it isn't as noticable as it would else have been"
-Skua

FNG
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Postby FNG » Wed May 13, 2015 9:04 pm

It's only 3 man with presumably a standard Russian autoloader so it may not need to be that big inside?

But I agree about the plates, they are too thin and clearly there is a space behind them.

Maybe the turret is not working and this is a false one?

when it broke down why did a man come out the drivers hatch?
I would have assume the first one to take the beating would be the commander via the turret?
That may also explain the flag, if the turret is a mock up then there may be limited electronics and radio equipment?
War: God's way of teaching American's geography

Ricky
Quartermaster
Quartermaster

Postby Ricky » Thu May 14, 2015 7:56 am

FNG wrote:when it broke down why did a man come out the drivers hatch?
I would have assume the first one to take the beating would be the commander via the turret?
That may also explain the flag, if the turret is a mock up then there may be limited electronics and radio equipment?

I assume from the description that the crew all sit together in a little armoured bubble, which would be in the hull.
So what would they be - Driver, Gunner, Commader?
-Confucius

-Skua

FNG
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Postby FNG » Thu May 14, 2015 2:31 pm

so in that case the turret could be mostly empty and therefore not require huge amounts of armour
Though that would leave the gun and ammo vulnerable to heavy hits

Ricky
Quartermaster
Quartermaster

Postby Ricky » Thu May 14, 2015 3:22 pm

FNG wrote:Though that would leave the gun and ammo vulnerable to heavy hits

Or even HMG hits, looking at how thin those metal sheets look. Something is screwy here. Even just look at that Mantlet - how is the gun supposed to elevate? Does it really pivot on the exact spot of the opening? Given the thin metal covering it, that leaves the mechanism vulnerable to damage

I'm beginning to think that this is some sort of fake turret cover, presumably intended to fool foreign intelligence staff and give internet nerds fits :P

btw - this link has some more vague details on the T-14
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-32588868
-Confucius

-Skua

FNG
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Postby FNG » Thu May 14, 2015 6:08 pm

In modern MBT's how much time would a commander spend on top acting as lookout (as in the old WW 2 model?)

This 3 man design with the turret empty and men in an armoured pod seems to leave them buttoned up all the time.

Certainly they would get a poor view from the front hatches being, low, shadowed by the turret and having the gun get in the way if it rotates

Ricky
Quartermaster
Quartermaster

Postby Ricky » Fri May 15, 2015 7:57 am

I'm assuming that all those insets in the turret armour are sensors of some kind, plus the tower that holds the mg is probably full of cameras etc.
However, that is a good point - they will have to rely entirely on what is on their screens.

I must admit I have no idea how common that is nowadays... a quick Google shows more heads out than in, but that isn't necessarily combat conditions
-Confucius

-Skua

FNG
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Postby FNG » Fri May 15, 2015 7:54 pm

you just wonder how much all those cameras and sensors would cope with a HE shell splashing across them or being raked by MMG's

I know that in those cases the crew would button up or suffer consequences but once it passes if you are relying upon them and they're all knackered then you are left very blind

jeaguer
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Postby jeaguer » Sun May 17, 2015 10:32 pm

As usual , nature is the best teacher , hunting spiders have 8 eyes , two of which are high definition , six for spotting
with the price of camera as minuscule as their size , there could be half a dozen fitted plus a box of spare ready ,
a couple of wi fi transponders might make wiring unnecessary .

the size of the turret is a puzzle , I'm not sure how small it can get ,
the chassis itself is not particularly small , a fair amount of gear could be located inside it
I could conceive of the auto loader mechanism being mostly in the chassis and the whole turret being used for aiming
the French had a system like that in their AMX13 ,having a much smaller turret means it would be easier still
one do not point the gun , the gun and its turret are then one piece

Ricky
Quartermaster
Quartermaster

Postby Ricky » Mon May 18, 2015 7:50 am

Still, if you can blind the tank by shooting the turret with a paintball gun*, I'm not convinced about the wisdom of that

* A deliberately ridiculous example. Small arms or mg fire would do, and a HE hit would likely destroy the mountings as well as the cameras. It is all very well carrying spares, but that won't help you at the momet of being blinded
-Confucius

-Skua

Return to “General History”