Russian T-14 'Armata'

Discussion of all history subjects not related to World War 2.
TISO
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Re: Russian T-14 'Armata'

Postby TISO » Mon May 18, 2015 11:16 am

"I am the punishment of God...If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you"
Genghis Kahn

I am not ordering you to attack, I am ordering you to die. Until we die, we can win the time for the arrival of new troops and commanders.
from the order for counter attack from lt.col. Mustafa Kemal to his 57th Brigade on 25th of April 1915 Gallipoli

"I am not without sins. There cannot be an airborne assault general who has no sins. I spit on popularity ratings. I live and serve as I see fit."
Lt. general Lebed Aleksandr Ivanovich

Ricky
Quartermaster
Quartermaster

Postby Ricky » Mon May 18, 2015 11:40 am

Nice views, but my Russian isn't up to it :)
Did he say anything of note, or is it standard media guff?

Mind you, that turret is awfully big if it just contains an autoloader and some sensors.
I'm currently at my limit for speculation based on a couple of photos and some news footage ;)
"Study the past, if you would divine the future"
-Confucius

"I am pedantic, I'm just being overshadowed by Ricky so it isn't as noticable as it would else have been"
-Skua

TISO
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby TISO » Mon May 18, 2015 2:03 pm

from what i gather it has dozens of cameras and multitude of other sensors that allows 360 coverage in all conditions (also in total darkness). My guess it includes IR and SWIR (infra red and short wave IR). Its radar mentioned in the video (Ka band radar i.e. something in 26.5–40 GHz range - not this video) it can track 40 or so ground and up to 25 air targets. It has 125mm gun that can fire standard and new under development ammo and also guided missile ammo. Turret is unmanned and is basicly just a big RCWS (remote controlled weapons station). From what i gather (not his video) it also has ARENA active protection system and Shtora system mounted
"I am the punishment of God...If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you"
Genghis Kahn

I am not ordering you to attack, I am ordering you to die. Until we die, we can win the time for the arrival of new troops and commanders.
from the order for counter attack from lt.col. Mustafa Kemal to his 57th Brigade on 25th of April 1915 Gallipoli

"I am not without sins. There cannot be an airborne assault general who has no sins. I spit on popularity ratings. I live and serve as I see fit."

FNG
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Postby FNG » Mon May 18, 2015 6:01 pm

I do worry about the all the technology going into warfare nowadays

my galaxy s4 phone is unreliable and don't get me started on my windows pc

It brings a whole new meaning to blue screen of death.

https://youtu.be/xBDrv1PY-uU
War: God's way of teaching American's geography

TISO
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby TISO » Tue May 19, 2015 5:42 pm

I can tell you from first hand experiance as greasemonkey that at least on helicopters as soon there are some gawddam#$d black boxes and/or some screens mounted it means a lot more problems/costs. It can happen that bird sits on ground becouse some small switch or fuse is dead or connector is loose due vibrations and you are not allowed to replace/repair it becouse it is part of LRU (line replacemnt unit i.e. fuc#n black box) and you are not allowed to open it (has to be sent to certified repair shop). Some of them are temperature sensitive (like EDU screens on A-109 leave it on the sun and it will start to play up) and don't get me started on EC-135....
IMHO most electronics are unreliable in field conditions (probaly that is greasemonkey in me talking :twisted: ) especcialy in combat vehicles and their usual wear and tear unless you have a really good logistics (enough spares and trained personell to replace/repair them).
I strongly suspect that "Pentagon wars" movie is very much based in reality:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXQ2lO3ieBA
Genghis Kahn

FNG
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Postby FNG » Thu May 21, 2015 2:14 pm

that pentagon wars clip is just the best

I suspect that the theory behind it relates to most big business projects too.
I can certainly see similarities behind that thinking and my bosses IT solutions
War: God's way of teaching American's geography

Return to “General History”