Small questions and answers-thread

Kick back, relax, and talk about everything you'd like.
baltimore casket supplies
Technican 5th Class
Technican 5th Class

Re: Small questions and answers-thread

Postby baltimore casket supplies » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:38 pm

how does a spy know when his pen is out of invisible ink?
what do you mean i dont support your system?
i go to court when i have too!!!

Ricky
Quartermaster
Quartermaster

Postby Ricky » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:56 pm

lol!

This is terribly geeky, but normally invisible ink is visible when writing - even if it is just a wet patch.

Try is yourself - milk is a viable invisible ink. Write with it on a page and you will see the wet letters you have writen.
"Study the past, if you would divine the future"
-Confucius

"I am pedantic, I'm just being overshadowed by Ricky so it isn't as noticable as it would else have been"
-Skua

baltimore casket supplies
Technican 5th Class
Technican 5th Class

Postby baltimore casket supplies » Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:00 am

Ricky wrote:This is terribly geeky, but normally invisible ink is visible when writing - even if it is just a wet patch.

then its not "truly" invisible and therefore should not be called so.

just who is the idiot that brought up this "invisible in" topic?
something should really be done about that guy........invisible ink.....yeah right....
you would think that he would at least bring up a legitimate topic.
some people have to much time on their hands i guess.
invisible ink.........geez-a-whiz........
what do you mean i dont support your system?
i go to court when i have too!!!

Ricky
Quartermaster
Quartermaster

Postby Ricky » Tue May 03, 2011 7:31 am

LPG - Liquid Petroleum Gas.

Now, call me a big silly, but can anybody else see the oddity in the name? If it is a liquid form of petroleum gas, the why isn't it just petroleum...?
-Confucius

"I am pedantic, I'm just being overshadowed by Ricky so it isn't as noticable as it would else have been"
-Skua

The Toastinator
Technican 5th Class
Technican 5th Class

Postby The Toastinator » Mon May 14, 2012 2:10 pm

Because it isn't?

If my understanding of things is correct, the gas is almost a by product of the oil extraction and refining process, while the crude oil is extracted the gas is released and is what you see being burnt off on North Sea oil rigs for example. It can however be compressed and used as an alternative fuel for cars for example. It has an unpleasant aroma of cabbage though and is so cold that it can cause freeze-burns to human skin if you touch the metal parts when refueling.

So it's not petroleum in gas form re-liquified, it's the gas from petroleum production liquified.

The Toastinator
Technican 5th Class
Technican 5th Class

Postby The Toastinator » Mon May 14, 2012 2:14 pm

Pika wrote:Anyone is buying the 2012 end of the world because I think everyone is gonna be allright and is something like 1000 A.D when everyone freaked out or something like 2000 :-?

Was listening to Radio 4 the other night and apparently a new Mayan calender has been discovered and deciphered which goes on for another thousand years or so.

Ricky
Quartermaster
Quartermaster

Postby Ricky » Mon May 14, 2012 2:19 pm

The Toastinator wrote:Because it isn't?

If my understanding of things is correct, the gas is almost a by product of the oil extraction and refining process, while the crude oil is extracted the gas is released and is what you see being burnt off on North Sea oil rigs for example. It can however be compressed and used as an alternative fuel for cars for example. It has an unpleasant aroma of cabbage though and is so cold that it can cause freeze-burns to human skin if you touch the metal parts when refueling.

So it's not petroleum in gas form re-liquified, it's the gas from petroleum production liquified.

Ah, many thanks :)
-Confucius

-Skua

Ricky
Quartermaster
Quartermaster

Postby Ricky » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:32 am

If people from England are English, why are people from the Netherlands Dutch?

And do any other populations have such a radical name-change?
-Confucius

-Skua

The Toastinator
Technican 5th Class
Technican 5th Class

Postby The Toastinator » Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:51 pm

I can't think of any current examples off hand, but until Bismarck created a unified Germany in the 1800s the many various seperate states that made up that area were IIRC still refered to as German, similarly for the separate states of Italy.

Not being able to come up with a better answer and being curious myself, I'll admit I caved and Googled this one and came up with this answer by Endie vB:

Hi, I'm Dutch.

Only English speakers call us "Dutch"

In our own language it's like this:

People: Nederlanders
Language: Nederlands

(makes sense, doesn't it?)

Holland is only a part of the country, in fact it's two provinces: North-Holland and South-Holland. The capital city Amsterdam is in North-Holland, and the world's largest harbour Rotterdam is in South-Holland.

So, most non-Dutch only know the name Holland, mainly from the time our ships sailed the oceans for trade and colonialism.

The two provinces of Holland are at the west-coast. So, most people in the west of The Netherlands don't mind if you call the place "Holland". But it's not correct when meaning any of the other 12 provinces (like calling a New Yorker a "Texan").

The word "Dutch" is not based on "Duits"
It's based on "Dietsch" which is the most ancient language of this area, from which Dutch, Flammisch and German languages have developed.

10 points please ;-]

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/in ... 617AAY70kB

Sounds convincing enough.

Roel
Former Administrator
Former Administrator

Postby Roel » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:23 pm

As resident cheesehead I can confirm all of the above is correct. I do not know why we are referred to as "Dutch" in English when all other languages use some form of "Hollandish" or "Netherlandish", but there you go. Confusingly, since Dutch and German share the root language Diets mentioned above, the Germans actually do refer to themselves as "Deutsch" and to their country as "Deutschland".
"The Athenians were born neither to have peace, nor to let others have it"
- Thucydides

canambridge
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby canambridge » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:13 pm

Roel wrote:As resident cheesehead I can confirm all of the above is correct. I do not know why we are referred to as "Dutch" in English when all other languages use some form of "Hollandish" or "Netherlandish", but there you go. Confusingly, since Dutch and German share the root language Diets mentioned above, the Germans actually do refer to themselves as "Deutsch" and to their country as "Deutschland".

The confusion between "Deutsch" and "Dutch" is why the why the German settlers of Pennsylvania are known as the "Pennsylvania Dutch".

Ricky
Quartermaster
Quartermaster

Postby Ricky » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:10 am

Roel wrote:As resident cheesehead I can confirm all of the above is correct. I do not know why we are referred to as "Dutch" in English when all other languages use some form of "Hollandish" or "Netherlandish", but there you go. Confusingly, since Dutch and German share the root language Diets mentioned above, the Germans actually do refer to themselves as "Deutsch" and to their country as "Deutschland".

Because us English had to try and mess with you somehow. Your navy kept being mean to us.
-Confucius

-Skua

LionSE1
General of the Army
General of the Army

Postby LionSE1 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:59 pm

I have a question.

What shape would chairs be if our knees bent in the opposite direction, like those of an Ostritch?

JCalhoun
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby JCalhoun » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:53 am

I don't know but my knees probably wouldn't hurt as much. :?
Professionals built the Titanic, amatuers built the Ark.

Return to “Members' Lounge”