FURY the movie, what did you think?

Kick back, relax, and talk about everything you'd like.
FNG
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Re: FURY the movie, what did you think?

Postby FNG » Thu May 14, 2015 2:28 pm

can you surmise it in 140 characters or less?
War: God's way of teaching American's geography

Roel
Former Administrator
Former Administrator

Postby Roel » Thu May 14, 2015 10:24 pm

It was great except for all the bits that sucked.
"The Athenians were born neither to have peace, nor to let others have it"
- Thucydides

Ricky
Quartermaster
Quartermaster

Postby Ricky » Fri May 15, 2015 7:51 am

Did the sucky bits outweigh the good bits?
"Study the past, if you would divine the future"
-Confucius

"I am pedantic, I'm just being overshadowed by Ricky so it isn't as noticable as it would else have been"
-Skua

Roel
Former Administrator
Former Administrator

Postby Roel » Fri May 15, 2015 7:17 pm

In movie terms, I'm not sure. I think it had a lot going for it as a story and as a character study. Speaking as one military history buff to another, however, yes, the sucky bits massively outweighed the good bits.
- Thucydides

JCalhoun
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby JCalhoun » Sat May 16, 2015 6:13 pm

I really liked the effects and the real tanks rather than mock ups was a big plus.

I think is a good war movie if you look at it as a piece of fiction rather than trying to compare to a documentary.
Professionals built the Titanic, amatuers built the Ark.

Roel
Former Administrator
Former Administrator

Postby Roel » Sun May 17, 2015 10:17 am

Hmm... I would agree with that, if it weren't for the fact that the unrealistic way military action is being portrayed actually creates glaring plot holes. Towards the end of the movie, nothing makes any sense. Everything that happens is very obviously happening according to the requirements of the plot, rather than anything so silly as realism, probability or common sense. This is bad writing, and I think the movie is very guilty of it.

Specifically, the movie expects us to believe the Germans are stupid enough to play their bit in Fury's last stand. They are perfectly at liberty to bypass the single immobilized tank and just march on down the road. Instead they insist on flinging wave after wave of soldiers straight into the firing line to try and kill a tank with small arms fire. There is absolutely no reason for this, and very little sense to the way they do it. Several SS soldiers, armed to the teeth, are shown charging the Americans to beat them with their bare hands; the only reason for this is that it allows the Americans to shoot them before they can do any harm. Moreover, when we see them marching, several soldiers are carrying Panzerfausts over their shoulders, but later on we are told that the ones that come out of a few boxes are "the last ones we have". Where did the others go? They vanished, you say? Well, isn't that convenient?

This shows that the entire final fight is a blatant plot device. The only reason Wardaddy stays behind with his tank is that it's "his home", despite the fact that it's an Easy 8 and he can't have had it for more than a few months. His emotional attachment to this tank condemns him and his crew to death, and then he claims afterwards that he "did the best he could". No he didn't - he unnecessarily sacrificed his crew. And it didn't even stop the German advance, so what is the point? And given that Fury is part of the 2nd Armored Division, which is a Heavy division with loads of divisional artillery, AT, engineers, mechanized infantry, and tactical air support, how utterly contrived is it that a single unsupported and broken-down Sherman ends up being the only defence against an entire SS battalion?

Throughout the movie, it is clear that the Almighty Hand of Plot guides all. American shots always hit unless the plot requires it; German shots always miss unless the plot requires it. And given that the plot itself, as noted, is little more than a contrived string of tired set-pieces, all this is just more evidence for the fact that this was a really poorly written movie.

And someone really should have told them not to mention the ranges at which Fury supposedly engaged the Tiger. The M1 76mm gun is perfectly capable of penetrating the flat glacis plate of a Tiger at 500 yards, so the entire fight scene is a deliberate lie, meant to play into commonly known myths rather than fact. Made worse when the characters insist that they must get to the rear of the Tiger, "where the armour is thin".

This is much less structured than my earlier review, but I hope it still makes sense :mrgreen:
- Thucydides

Ricky
Quartermaster
Quartermaster

Postby Ricky » Mon May 18, 2015 11:29 am

So... basically the main reason to see the film is to see Tiger 131 in action?
-Confucius

"I am pedantic, I'm just being overshadowed by Ricky so it isn't as noticable as it would else have been"
-Skua

Roel
Former Administrator
Former Administrator

Postby Roel » Mon May 18, 2015 3:09 pm

Which you can see here in all its HD glory. The Tiger only appears in this scene.

To be fair, there are some parts of the movie I really liked. Its main characters were all highly distinct and deeply flawed, which made them interesting and memorable. They were not just typical average joes doing the right thing - they were conflicted, angry, terrified, and desperate to find some way to cope with what they were doing. This puts Fury miles above the average war movie.

The other thing I thought was great is that this, for once, is an anti-war movie that manages to be an anti-war movie. These things tend to walk a fine line between showing us the horror of war and showing us the spectacle; most lean too much towards the latter, and end up being the favourite films of war buffs. This movie definitely leans towards the former. War in Fury is filthy, ruthless, horrifically violent and pointless. There is nothing here to make you cheer for anyone, nothing to make you wish you'd been there to see it. I particularly liked how the last scene hammered this home. When the lone survivor of the final battle is pushed onto an ambulance amid the carnage, shell-shocked and numb, the medic tells him, "you're a hero, you know that?" The survivor looks on in disbelief. All he's done is tear apart a horde of kids fighting for a lost cause, and the only reason he survived is that an SS soldier had more kindness in him than his own commander. No one would call themselves a hero after that.
- Thucydides

Ricky
Quartermaster
Quartermaster

Postby Ricky » Tue May 19, 2015 9:39 am

Roel wrote:Which you can see here in all its HD glory. The Tiger only appears in this scene.

At 0.19 in that clip, you see the three Shermans charging forward - each one a completely different model!
-Confucius

-Skua

SturmTiger

Postby SturmTiger » Tue May 19, 2015 9:36 pm

Different models or not,they're real. :D
Member Since 2/17/2004

SturmTiger

Postby SturmTiger » Tue May 19, 2015 9:37 pm

And BTW,Roel reminds me of Alice Cooper. :D
Member Since 2/17/2004

Roel
Former Administrator
Former Administrator

Postby Roel » Tue May 19, 2015 10:45 pm

Ricky wrote:At 0.19 in that clip, you see the three Shermans charging forward - each one a completely different model!

True, but I don't think this is necessarily unrealistic. Production of 75mm-armed Shermans continued until the end of the war because of their superior HE/infantry support capacity; it makes sense to see 75mm and 76mm models operating side by side. I don't know if entire units were outfitted with new M4A3 (76) HVSS all at once, or if they were issued to replace losses - if the latter, it wouldn't be surprising to see an M4A1 (76) with VVSS still in the field next to Fury.

Although Fury is apparently an M4A2 (76), which were rarely used by the Americans themselves...
- Thucydides

Return to “Members' Lounge”