What's that smell?

Kick back, relax, and talk about everything you'd like.
Hoosier
Major General
Major General

What's that smell?

Postby Hoosier » Thu May 07, 2015 9:32 pm

It might be this website... so dead it's beginning to stink a bit too.
--Tim

SturmTiger

Re: What's that smell?

Postby SturmTiger » Sat May 09, 2015 9:32 pm

Wasn't always the case. :(
Member Since 2/17/2004

JCalhoun
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby JCalhoun » Sun May 10, 2015 1:04 am

Yep
Professionals built the Titanic, amatuers built the Ark.

David W
General
General

Postby David W » Sun May 10, 2015 5:51 am

It seems to be very much par for the course I'm afraid. Of the 11 WWII forums to which I have belonged since 2000, one has closed , nine have less than a quarter of the traffic that they used to enjoy. Only the Axis History Forum seems to be going on pretty much as strong as ever.

Roel
Former Administrator
Former Administrator

Postby Roel » Mon May 11, 2015 3:37 pm

I'm sorry guys. I know I'm part of the problem. I've discussed this with several formerly active members, and the story is always the same - less enthusiasm, less free time, other interests. For my part, it's not that I'm no longer interested in tanks or WW2, just that it's no longer my obsession - no longer the thing I look forward to reading and talking about endlessly, like it was in my teenage years. It was never something I chose to leave behind, just something that didn't come with me at some point. Now I just look back on this forum as a place where I learned an incredible amount, about history and tank warfare and arguing over the internet, and where I made good friends from all over the world. I hate to see the place fading away, but at the same time, I know it's not going to be me who breathes new life into it.

We've had discussions before about how to do this, though, and it never came to anything. The obvious thing the forum needs is an influx of new members; but this is something the old guard generally don't actually like, because it means retreading a lot of old ground, fighting the same old battles all over again. And if we don't want to do that, what else can we do?
"The Athenians were born neither to have peace, nor to let others have it"
- Thucydides

Ricky
Quartermaster
Quartermaster

Postby Ricky » Tue May 12, 2015 3:10 pm

It is a common theme in forums (particularly those dedicated to a particular topic) that eventually they end up with most members lurking.
Lurking is where they log in regularly/frequently but don't post, often because there are not many posts to comment on. Part of me always wants to point out that if everybody made at least one post when they logged on, we wouldn't be so quiet...

One problem is that over the last 10 years we've kind of exhausted all the topics we are knowledgable about, and we're not really the kind of forum where we can have a 300-page topic about the real minutiae of WW2.

Plus, these days we don't really have any dissenters. Nothing stimulates discussion more than somebody with a strong opinion that everybody else disagrees with. Over on tgplanes.com we have a similar problem, and a while back we had a guy join who was a real troll, but we ended up keeping him on for quite a while purely because he stimulated discussion and we had some amazingly informative posts and very interesting discussions.
"Study the past, if you would divine the future"
-Confucius

"I am pedantic, I'm just being overshadowed by Ricky so it isn't as noticable as it would else have been"
-Skua

David W
General
General

Postby David W » Tue May 12, 2015 4:39 pm

Perhaps Christian will let us into the secret behind the continuing success of the A.H.F!!

Hoosier
Major General
Major General

Postby Hoosier » Mon May 18, 2015 2:25 am

Maybe Blaster will return and we can talk 'guns'... even though the subject clearly scared HELL out of the lad.
:o
--Tim

Return to “Members' Lounge”