What's in YOUR Stash?

The place to discuss modelling, reenactment and other pasttimes. Feel free to show off your latest work.
Hoosier
Major General
Major General

What's in YOUR Stash?

Postby Hoosier » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:44 am

I've been working to 'build-up' a stash of model kits to enjoy building sometime in the future.
Retirement isn't too far-off, and I've found a few super-deals with patience. I like 1/48 scale aircraft and 1/35 scale armor.

Here's what I've amassed so far...
AFV-Club 1/35 scale '67 War IDF Sho't Centurion
AFV-Club 1/35 '73 War IDF Sho't-Kal Centurion.-- This was an especially difficult kit to find!
Encore 1/48 F-102 Delta Dagger-- I nearly stole this one from Squadron. I've never built an F-102
Hobby Boss 1/48 Mig-17F Fresco C--really looking forward to building this one in North Vietnamese AF markings
Hobby boss 1/48 Republic F-105G Thunderchief "Wild Weasel" --another Vietnam -era Squadron steal!
Academy 1/48 F-16C Falcon (with FoxOne Indiana ANG "Terre Haute" decals) 40% off
Monogram/Revell 1/48 Chance-Vought F-8 Crusader 40% off
Revell (ex Monogram Pro-Modeler) 1/48 P-47N Thunderbolt--gift card-FREE
Dragon 1/35 SAS 4x4 Patrol Cmdr 'JEEP' (I paid retail for this little 'gem & have it half-built already!)
Monogram 1/48 Convair B-58 Hustler--a work in progress and currently shelved.

So, what's in YOUR stash?
--Tim

SturmTiger

Re: What's in YOUR Stash?

Postby SturmTiger » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:24 am

It would be easier for me to post pics.It's a bit extensive.Includes just about everything you can imagine.
Member Since 2/17/2004

Ricky
Quartermaster
Quartermaster

Postby Ricky » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:35 pm

I work in 1/72, which are cheaper and smaller, so my stash is therefore larger ;)

Mind you, Mrs Ricky has put her foot down and I may not buy any new models until I finish the old ones :shock:
"Study the past, if you would divine the future"
-Confucius

"I am pedantic, I'm just being overshadowed by Ricky so it isn't as noticable as it would else have been"
-Skua

The Toastinator
Technican 5th Class
Technican 5th Class

Postby The Toastinator » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:02 pm

I haven't had the time or space to do much model making for quite some time, but with the youngest going to primary next year (So I don't have to be so careful about making sure cleaning fluids, paints and knives are packed away out of reach) I may get the opportunity again. I've still got a 1/72 A-26 Invader and a Revell 1/48 Me262 in the attic, although IIRC the latter is missing the clear sprue.

Hoosier
Major General
Major General

Postby Hoosier » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:18 pm

SturmTiger wrote:It would be easier for me to post pics.It's a bit extensive.Includes just about everything you can imagine.

----------------------
I don't build cars or Sci-Fi subjects these days. While I enjoy ships--like your WW2 Italian ROMA kit--I find they can take up an enormous amount of space. (I hope you put your completed ROMA under-glass!) I like torpedo boats and subs so I have a few of them on display. I've built a great number of models in the course of my life... some of them were lost over the years in moves, thrown-out by my parents, etc. Right now, I'm trying to upgrade to the best kits of a given subject--such as the 1/48 Hobby Boss Mig-17--and replace anything on display not up to my current modeling skill.

I find it difficult to stash model-kits as most are subjects I've never built, so I'm usually hot to build them as soon as I can get them home. After nearly 60yrs, I'm finally learning... patience. Thinking back, I can remember being SO excited at Christmas knowing that I might find a 1/32 Renwall M-42 "Duster", a 1/350 scale Forrestal or a 1/96 scale "Old Ironsides" under the tree. I would generally go to work building them immediately.

I've finally got all the Grumman 'Cats' (prop-driven) in 1/48 scale. I'm also working on IDF armor subjects and the Vietnam air-war with distinctive SEA camo-patterns. I'm fascinated by Stirlings Raiders and the SAS in North Africa. (I REALLY want the Italian Camionetta AS 42 Sahariana in 1/35 scale!) I finally found and built the LRDG Chevy "Scorpion' with a 20mm Breda auto-cannon mounted in the bed.

PS: Ricky--I would love to build a collection of 1/72 scale multi-engined seaplanes and flying boats.
--Tim

Ricky
Quartermaster
Quartermaster

Postby Ricky » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:28 am

Hoosier wrote:PS: Ricky--I would love to build a collection of 1/72 scale multi-engined seaplanes and flying boats.
--Tim

I have built a Sunderland, a Catalina and a Grumman J2F duck, along with Arado Ar 196 and Heinkel He-115 floatplanes.*
They sure are pretty (although as some of them were from my early days as a modeller, the build itself is not always!) but some of them are BIG!

* And a couple of Supermarine Walruses, on my 1/600 HMS Belfast!
-Confucius

"I am pedantic, I'm just being overshadowed by Ricky so it isn't as noticable as it would else have been"
-Skua

JCalhoun
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby JCalhoun » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:56 pm

The still in wrapper kits are a 1/48 scale Korean era Corsair, and small Gato class US submarine and battleship USS Alabama.
Professionals built the Titanic, amatuers built the Ark.

ebar
Corporal
Corporal

Postby ebar » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:14 pm

Mostly ships.

HMS Dreadnought (1906) 1/350
Zara 1/350
HMS Hood 1/400 40% done for three years
HMS Victory can't remember scale
HMS Bounty dito
HMS Iron Duke in 1/600 okay that one is 99% done... and had been for four years now :oops:
German kubelwagen 1/32 80% done for three years
American Greyhound armoured car 1/32
cruiser prinz eugen 1/700 the last one I will purchase until I've finished something. I promise.

I think that's it. My wargame figure stash is not one I'm prepared to discuss because there are things that have been there a long, long time.

SturmTiger

Postby SturmTiger » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:31 pm

Let's see some pics of this stuff.
Member Since 2/17/2004

Ricky
Quartermaster
Quartermaster

Postby Ricky » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:46 pm

ebar wrote: My wargame figure stash is not one I'm prepared to discuss because there are things that have been there a long, long time.

I have a stash od Warhammer 40K figures that are so old they have been replaced by newer versions in the shops. I even found a couple of rather dusty bags full of the original Orc/Gretchin figures, along with a few early Space Marine & Eldar figures. :shock:
-Confucius

-Skua

TISO
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby TISO » Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:14 pm

Ricky wrote:
ebar wrote: My wargame figure stash is not one I'm prepared to discuss because there are things that have been there a long, long time.

I have a stash od Warhammer 40K figures that are so old they have been replaced by newer versions in the shops. I even found a couple of rather dusty bags full of the original Orc/Gretchin figures, along with a few early Space Marine & Eldar figures. :shock:

O collectables. Same here, some modells are already so long in my stash they are quite impossible to get nowdays. And stash is way too big to list it here :ugeek:
"I am the punishment of God...If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you"
Genghis Kahn

I am not ordering you to attack, I am ordering you to die. Until we die, we can win the time for the arrival of new troops and commanders.
from the order for counter attack from lt.col. Mustafa Kemal to his 57th Brigade on 25th of April 1915 Gallipoli

"I am not without sins. There cannot be an airborne assault general who has no sins. I spit on popularity ratings. I live and serve as I see fit."
Lt. general Lebed Aleksandr Ivanovich

FNG
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Postby FNG » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:11 pm

So when does a "stash" convert into a historical/museum collection?

FNG
War: God's way of teaching American's geography

SturmTiger

Postby SturmTiger » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:18 am

When you die?
Member Since 2/17/2004

ebar
Corporal
Corporal

Postby ebar » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:26 am

Ricky wrote:

The old stuff can be very salable. I flogged off most of my old 40K stuff a couple of years ago at a convention. The one that was the first to go was my old badly made, badly painted Land Raider that I barely managed to get onto the table before someone threw money at me and ran off with it! The packs of 'womble' marines were far behind.
Last edited by ebar on Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

SturmTiger

Postby SturmTiger » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:01 am

The old Land Raiders are hard to come by.
Member Since 2/17/2004

Return to “The Hobby Room”