Finally, a Westland Whirlwind

The place to discuss modelling, reenactment and other pasttimes. Feel free to show off your latest work.
Hoosier
Major General
Major General

Finally, a Westland Whirlwind

Postby Hoosier » Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:05 am

The latest online Finescale Modeler Newsletter announced that Trumpeter has released a 1/48 scale model of the Westland Whirlwind.
http://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/kits/ ... 2890.shtml
I've just GOTTA have one...
--Tim

JCalhoun
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Re: Finally, a Westland Whirlwind

Postby JCalhoun » Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:11 pm

Cool. I had never heard of them until now.
Professionals built the Titanic, amatuers built the Ark.

Ricky
Quartermaster
Quartermaster

Postby Ricky » Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:51 pm

I have the Airfix 1/72 kit - it is ridiculously basic, and I have earmarked it for when I feel up to a complex detailing build
"Study the past, if you would divine the future"
-Confucius

"I am pedantic, I'm just being overshadowed by Ricky so it isn't as noticable as it would else have been"
-Skua

Hoosier
Major General
Major General

Postby Hoosier » Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:24 am

for JCalhoun...

"The Whirlwind became distinguished for its survivability during crash landings and ground accidents. The placement of the wings and engines ahead of the cockpit allowed the aircraft to absorb a great deal of damage while the cockpit area remained largely intact. As a result, many pilots were able to walk away unhurt from aircraft that were totally written off, a rare occurrence in 1930s era aircraft.
All pilots who flew this aircraft enthused about it in the air. If the Whirlwind had a fault, it was its high approach and landing speed. Because of the low production level, based on the number of Peregrines available, no redesign of the wing was contemplated, although Westland did test the effectiveness of Leading-edge slats to reduce speeds. When the slats were activated with such force that they were ripped off the wings, the slats were wired shut.

Philip J.R. Moyes noted in Aircraft in Profile 191: The Westland Whirlwind: The basic feature of the Whirlwind was its concentration of firepower: its four closely-grouped heavy cannon in the nose had a rate of fire of 600 lb./minute – which, until the introduction of the Beaufighter, placed it ahead of any fighter in the world. Hand in hand with this dense firepower went a first-rate speed and climb performance, excellent manoeuvrability, and a fighting view hitherto unsurpassed. The Whirlwind was, in its day, faster than the Spitfire down low and, with lighter lateral control, was considered to be one of the nicest "twins" ever built… From the flying viewpoint, the Whirlwind was considered magnificent.

Bruce Robertson, in The Westland Whirlwind Described, quotes a 263 Squadron pilot as saying, "It was regarded with absolute confidence and affection.”
The aircraft is well summed up by Francis K. Mason’s comments in Royal Air Force Fighters of World War Two, Vol. One: Bearing in mind the relatively small number of Whirlwinds that reached the RAF, the type remained in combat service, virtually unmodified, for a remarkably long time…The Whirlwind, once mastered, certainly shouldered extensive responsibilities and the two squadrons were called upon to attack enemy targets from one end of the Channel to the other, by day and night, moving from airfield to airfield within southern England.[33]

The last words on the subject were perhaps best stated by Dr. G. Buckwell who, as a young Sergeant Pilot with 263 Squadron, was shot down in a Whirlwind over Cherbourg. "The Whirlwind was great to fly - we were a privileged few": In retrospect the lesson of the Whirlwind is clear… A radical aircraft requires either prolonged development or widespread service to exploit its concept and eliminate its weaknesses, Too often in World War II, such aircraft suffered accelerated development or limited service, with the result that teething difficulties came to be regarded as permanent limitations."
--from Wikipedia

TISO
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby TISO » Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:07 pm

Well i heard that Trumpeter has some smallish shape issues. That said it is still the only game in town.
In one true scale (1/72) you have number of kits:
- old Airfix, old Polistil - both rather basic and i'm told good basis for detailing but not the same mould,
- Pavla models mix media kit which is short run plastic with resin interior and flap assy (the only kit with flaps) and
- new MPM group (MPM, Special Hobby, Azzur, Azzur FRROM) kit which is rather good plastic with small PE fret and few resin parts (that depends on version of the kit).
"I am the punishment of God...If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you"
Genghis Kahn

I am not ordering you to attack, I am ordering you to die. Until we die, we can win the time for the arrival of new troops and commanders.
from the order for counter attack from lt.col. Mustafa Kemal to his 57th Brigade on 25th of April 1915 Gallipoli

"I am not without sins. There cannot be an airborne assault general who has no sins. I spit on popularity ratings. I live and serve as I see fit."
Lt. general Lebed Aleksandr Ivanovich

Hoosier
Major General
Major General

Postby Hoosier » Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:06 am

"Well i heard that Trumpeter has some smallish shape issues. That said it is still the only game in town."

Yes TISO, I read the same criticism about the wing moldings. I build 1/48 scale exclusive, so this is big news for this scale... in plastic. I wonder how long before photo-etch aftermarket flaps, cockpit detailing, etc. come to the market. I hope. Wasn't their a "Whirly Bomber" variant as well?
Fingers crossed... Christmas is coming.
--Tim

JCalhoun
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby JCalhoun » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:32 pm

Hoosier,

Thanks for the info.
Professionals built the Titanic, amatuers built the Ark.

TISO
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby TISO » Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:21 pm

Forhot there was/is also Classic airframes 1/48 kit of this bird but i don't know how it comapares to this new kit
"I am the punishment of God...If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you"
Genghis Kahn

I am not ordering you to attack, I am ordering you to die. Until we die, we can win the time for the arrival of new troops and commanders.
from the order for counter attack from lt.col. Mustafa Kemal to his 57th Brigade on 25th of April 1915 Gallipoli

"I am not without sins. There cannot be an airborne assault general who has no sins. I spit on popularity ratings. I live and serve as I see fit."
Lt. general Lebed Aleksandr Ivanovich

Hoosier
Major General
Major General

Postby Hoosier » Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:32 pm

Well, my birthday was last month and I've finally got this kit in hand.
Tiso, you're right about the Classic Airframes 'Whirly in 1/48 scale. It's now out of production... and was a mixed media kit with some fit problems. Not a mainstream effort, but I would have the skill to build it. This one should go together without needing too much work.
I'm saving it for a rainy day...
--Tim

Ricky
Quartermaster
Quartermaster

Postby Ricky » Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:33 pm

When you do build it - you know who wants to see the pictures 8-)
"Study the past, if you would divine the future"
-Confucius

"I am pedantic, I'm just being overshadowed by Ricky so it isn't as noticable as it would else have been"
-Skua

Return to “The Hobby Room”