Create-a-Tank

Participate is the quizzes and games, or start one yourself.
Ricky
Quartermaster
Quartermaster

Create-a-Tank

Postby Ricky » Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:29 am

Anybody fancy a return to the tank design game?

here is a sample of how it works...

The first game:
http://www.fun-online.sk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2798

The last game:
http://www.fun-online.sk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4193
"Study the past, if you would divine the future"
-Confucius

"I am pedantic, I'm just being overshadowed by Ricky so it isn't as noticable as it would else have been"
-Skua

Gunter_Viezenz
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Create-a-Tank

Postby Gunter_Viezenz » Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:36 pm

Question was that section on the old forum opened up to everyone? Cause I think back on it you needed special acess for it
Never have so many fought so hard, for so long, for so little, to be betrayed by so few. - RAF regarding Yalta Conference and their Polish Allies

"The Warsaw Uprising to the Poles is 9/11 for 63 consecutive days" - Norman Davies

Ricky
Quartermaster
Quartermaster

Postby Ricky » Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:18 pm

Thinking about it - it was only opened to people who signed up for the game.

So I should explain the game. Somebody sets a design criteria (eg: it is 1942, my country needs a tank-destroyer capable of xyz). Players choose a country, and adapt existing vehicles to meet the criteria. The 'customer' then picks the winning design.

Criterias can be as detailed or as lax as you wish.
Submissions can have a well-written back story, or just have a simple statement of what you started with and what alterations you did.
Pictures are generally needed.

The winning designer then submits the next criteria.

Designers can work alone or in teams - Roel & I used to work together. We'd think up the idea together, then I'd research and do the write-up, and he'd draw the vehicle.
-Confucius

"I am pedantic, I'm just being overshadowed by Ricky so it isn't as noticable as it would else have been"
-Skua

Gunter_Viezenz
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Gunter_Viezenz » Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:52 pm

Thinking about it - it was only opened to people who signed up for the game.

Yes I know that is why I suggested opening up the access to that section on the old forum because not everyone has access to it. So everyone including the members that joined on this new forum and those who didnt have the permissions to it on the old forum can see it.

Other than that sign me up.
Never have so many fought so hard, for so long, for so little, to be betrayed by so few. - RAF regarding Yalta Conference and their Polish Allies

"The Warsaw Uprising to the Poles is 9/11 for 63 consecutive days" - Norman Davies

Zhukov_2008
Private First Class
Private First Class

Postby Zhukov_2008 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:40 pm

It is summer 1942. The Flurman army has reached the stretch of the Flon river basin. Hundreds of miles further on lies the might Flolga River, with its great industrial and urban centers. It is in these cities that the Flussian General Flukov plans to stage his final defense. The Flurman army is ill-equipped for urban warfare, its tanks much too vulnerable to well-hidden infantry and AT guns. The Flurman High Command is issuing an order for an urban infantry fighting vehicle with the capacity to hold at least six fully-equipped soldiers. The vehicle is expected to quickly (25km/h min.) transport infantry to combat zones and protect them from small arms (preferably HMGs and AT rifles too) and achieve a high survivability rate for the crew if the vehicle hits a mine.

This IFV is not expected to engage enemy armor, so heavy caliber weapons are not a must (though a short-barreled 105mm howitzer is never a bad thing :D ). The vehicle is expected to engage entrenched infantry and other soft targets. It can be wheeled, tracked, fixed turret, traversable turret, and whatever combinations are possible.

Of course any technology after 1942 is off limits, but the rules allow free and creative use of everyone's tech up until then.

Should we set the date for a week from whenever the next candidate accepts? As usual I'm sure we can incorporate the standard one or two week delay. :D

And if no one objects I throw something together as well (naturally I will not judge mine).

Roel
Former Administrator
Former Administrator

Postby Roel » Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:57 pm

Hey Zhukov! Glad to see you active in this section again.

As I said to Ricky recently, I'm always available to do the artwork for him, but I don't currently have the time to do much research myself. Therefore I'll simply say provisionally that if this game can generate the kind of participation that previous competitions did, I will be a shadow member of the Ricky & Roel designing team, and you shall see its results :mrgreen:

Edit - reviewing my artwork for the last Competition... Ew. I really shouldn't have gone for that trippy 3/4 perspective...
"The Athenians were born neither to have peace, nor to let others have it"
- Thucydides

Ricky
Quartermaster
Quartermaster

Postby Ricky » Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:42 pm

Zhukov! Long time no see - glad to read your posts again. I'm already thinking about what vehicle I could modify for this one... 8-)
-Confucius

-Skua

Zhukov_2008
Private First Class
Private First Class

Postby Zhukov_2008 » Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:13 pm

Thanks guys, I'm really glad to see you guys are around. Are Me262 and Simonr1976 still posting?

Anyways, I'm very excited to see what the Roel/Ricky design team has in store for the future of the game (I almost chose the IS3-R for the most aesthetically pleasing tank thread :D ).

Well, I suppose we should wait for another contestant. Gunter, are you in?

Gunter_Viezenz
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Gunter_Viezenz » Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:41 am

Count me in, got my last mid-term tomorow for the next 2 weeks. :D Hopefully I will have something scrapped up by than.

Roel
Former Administrator
Former Administrator

Postby Roel » Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:54 pm

Ricky wrote: I'm already thinking about what vehicle I could modify for this one... 8-)

Shall we pull out the old Sheridan again? ;)
"The Athenians were born neither to have peace, nor to let others have it"
- Thucydides

Gunter_Viezenz
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Gunter_Viezenz » Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:23 am

Will be done near the end of December, depending on my difficulty with drawings.

Christian Ankerstjerne
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Christian Ankerstjerne » Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:37 pm

I guess I can manage to build something nice ;)

Zhukov_2008
Private First Class
Private First Class

Postby Zhukov_2008 » Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:50 pm

Christian Ankerstjerne wrote:I guess I can manage to build something nice ;)

It's about time bub. I'm not sure how you managed to get away for so long without participating in the old games.

I'm excited. Fresh meat! :D

Gunter, you will not be able to post an entry until the end of December?
Last edited by Zhukov_2008 on Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gunter_Viezenz
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Gunter_Viezenz » Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:51 pm

I should have one within the first 10 days of December. Depends wether my brother wants to help me with drawing as an old football injury has damaged my "fine" control of my hands. Meaning I cannot draw like I used to.

Ricky
Quartermaster
Quartermaster

Postby Ricky » Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:20 pm

Team Ricky/Roel has almost finished it's entry - just waiting for Roel to actually draw it. He keeps making rubbish excuses about 'essay deadlines' :roll: Priorities!
-Confucius

-Skua

Return to “Quizzes and Games”