Build-a-gun?

Participate is the quizzes and games, or start one yourself.
siberian Black
Private First Class
Private First Class

Build-a-gun?

Postby siberian Black » Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:43 am

Same idea as the build-a-tank game but with infantry capable weapons. But before we get started (or i get started anyway) I wanted ot make sureeveryone who want's in on a specific game has at least some idea what they're doing (else you'll have my 15mm SMG to deal with)
So I pulled together some basic elements and attempted to do some research (note: aside from being uncertain as to authenticity, Wikipedia is also lousy with details for some of this....)

To make sure I didn't make any major mistakes (and didn't forget anything major), here's what I am up with:

Barrel types
Smoothbore: These normally fire multiple projectiles, such as lead shot. Examples of such wounds are 12 bore and .410 shotguns. 12 bore shotguns are often 'double barreled'.
Ammunition consists of a cartridge with a plastic or cardboard tube and a brass base (containing the percussion cap). Inside the cartridge there is a 'wad' of paper and cardboard, with a mass of lead pellets.
All of these components may contribute to the wound characteristics, and can be useful in interpreting the direction of, and range of shot.

Rifled: Single missiles are fired through a barrel possessing a shallow spiral pattern, giving the bullet it's spin. The spiral pattern is composed of 'lands' and 'grooves' which leave a characteristic pattern on the bullet, and can be used in the comparison of bullets fired from a suspected weapon recovered at a later stage by the investigating authorities.
Examples are the revolver (where bullets are brought into position via a rotating cylinder), the automatic pistol (a self-loading weapon, where shells are put into firing position by a gas operated delivery system) and the rifle (a long barreled sporting or military weapon, commonly the .22 sporting rifle in the UK).

Weapon classes (infantry)
Automatic Shotgun
Assault Rifle (intermediate cartridge)
Battle Rifle (full cartridge)
Bolt Action Carbine
Bolt Action Rifle
Compact Assault Rifle
GPMG (General Purpose Machine Gun)
Grenade Launcher
Less Lethal Launcher
LMG (Light Machine Gun)
Machine Pistol
Missile Launcher
MMG (Medium Machine Gun)
PDW
Pistol
Revolver
Rifle
Rocket Launcher
Semi-Auto Carbine
Semi-Auto Rifle
Semi-Auto Shotgun
Single Shot Carbine
Single Shot Rifle
Shotgun
SMG (Sub-machine gun)
Volley Gun

Calibres and types of ammunition
Sub-calibre: (flechette rounds, larger calibre)
Hollow point (illegal) expands (Black Talon)
Jacketed rounds: better AP cap

Firing systems
Gas operated: Gas-operation is a system of operation used to provide energy to operate autoloading firearms. In gas-operation, a portion of high pressure gas from the cartridge being fired is used to power a mechanism to extract the spent case and chamber a new cartridge. Energy from the gas is harnessed through either a port in the barrel or trap at the muzzle. This high-pressure gas impinges on a surface such as a piston head to provide motion for unlocking of the action, extraction of the spent case, ejection, cocking of the hammer or striker, chambering of a fresh cartridge, and locking of the action.
Single action: basic semi-auto fire (handgun)
Double action: cock weapon, then release hammer (revolver)

Materials (weight approximation, composites etc)

Full layouts
bullpup

You may begin ripping this apart, changes will be made ASAP.
I'll see *you* at the top.

Gunter_Viezenz
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Build-a-gun?

Postby Gunter_Viezenz » Sun Feb 03, 2008 1:33 am

I think this is a totally brilliant idea. I am up for it if we can go that far with it.
Never have so many fought so hard, for so long, for so little, to be betrayed by so few. - RAF regarding Yalta Conference and their Polish Allies

"The Warsaw Uprising to the Poles is 9/11 for 63 consecutive days" - Norman Davies

delorina
Recruit

Postby delorina » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:03 am

What will happen to a gun that the finish paint is falling off? I am curious what will happen to my SLR106 if I shoot it very often and the finish paint on the gun fall off. Will it rust? How can I prevent the rusting from happening other than refinish the paint?

JCalhoun
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby JCalhoun » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:38 pm

Keep it clean and wipe it all over with a light coat of gun oil when your not using it.
Professionals built the Titanic, amatuers built the Ark.

john.torress
Recruit

Postby john.torress » Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:09 pm

are you building a gun for shooting range?

Return to “Quizzes and Games”