Secret weapons section

Be sure to check the guidelines and announcements in this forum first, and feel free to provide feedback.
Gunter_Viezenz
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Secret weapons section

Postby Gunter_Viezenz » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:44 pm

David W wrote:Therefore, I myself might be a secret weapon.

The best secret weapon is propaganda. Simply, because it isn't a secret, unless you know it a not really true.

How else could the American air force shoot down a plane that only existed as a model on Göring's desk?
Never have so many fought so hard, for so long, for so little, to be betrayed by so few. - RAF regarding Yalta Conference and their Polish Allies

"The Warsaw Uprising to the Poles is 9/11 for 63 consecutive days" - Norman Davies

Commando
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Postby Commando » Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:19 am

Wow!! Never heard that one before.
Who Dares Wins!

2nd.Dragoon
Veteran
Veteran

Postby 2nd.Dragoon » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:38 am

Good Heavens!.........not 'THE' Commando'?

Gunter_Viezenz
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Gunter_Viezenz » Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:48 pm

Commando wrote:Wow!! Never heard that one before.

It's true except the part about the model being about Goering's desk. That I put for emphasis of the plane not existing.

What happened was the Luftwaffe had a magazine during the war probably even before the war about themselves. They would include plenty of pictures of planes, and profiles of some of their great pilots. These magazines were than exported to various countries within Europe, except those whom Germany was at war with. The United States recieved shipments of this magazine until Germany declared war on USA.

One practice they had was of taking models, putting them to different backgrounds and taking pictures. These pictures ended up in the magazine and propaganda. Which would in turn end up in civilian populace and enemy intelligence. :D

The Germans were good at propaganda.
Never have so many fought so hard, for so long, for so little, to be betrayed by so few. - RAF regarding Yalta Conference and their Polish Allies

"The Warsaw Uprising to the Poles is 9/11 for 63 consecutive days" - Norman Davies

2nd.Dragoon
Veteran
Veteran

Postby 2nd.Dragoon » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:38 pm

This could be an excellant topic, propaganda and 'spin'.

Commando
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Postby Commando » Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:40 am

2nd Dragoon wrote:Good Heavens!.........not 'THE' Commando'?

I wonder...... Is someone laughing at me? :D

Yes, it is the Commando.

By the way, did your name used to be merlin. I haven't been around for a fair while, but as I have noticed merlin seemed to be the only veteran on this board, I am assuming that 2nd Dragoon, and merlin are one and the same person.
Who Dares Wins!

2nd.Dragoon
Veteran
Veteran

Postby 2nd.Dragoon » Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:28 pm

Ah, the corrigated iron boat builder! :D
You are correct young sir!
2nd.Dragoon aka Merlin aka Trackpin aka Capt.Mainwaring aka Brian.S711 aka BarceBandit aka BenghaziBandit aka Brin Symonds possibly others, just depends which Forum you are looking at! :?

Commando
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Postby Commando » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:29 pm

2nd Dragoon wrote:Ah, the corrigated iron boat builder! :D
You are correct young sir!
2nd.Dragoon aka Merlin aka Trackpin aka Capt.Mainwaring aka Brian.S711 aka BarceBandit aka BenghaziBandit aka Brin Symonds possibly others, just depends which Forum you are looking at! :?

:D
You know what my friends latest invention is? A grass sled that you tow behind a ute. We took that thing through mud long grass, everything. I can't upload an pics though, cause the files to big.
Who Dares Wins!

triumf
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Postby triumf » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:38 pm

I would just say that I find such a section a very contradiction in terms, as a secret weapon is a weapon we doesn`t know of. If we knew anything about it, it can`t be secret. can it???????? ;)

dutchman
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Postby dutchman » Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:32 am

You know it's too bad we can't settle on what a "secret" weapon is. It would be a fun topic to explore. However to avoid the terminolgy issue perhaps we should call them something like semi destructive devices of lesser known levels of fame. just kidding, but truly it's a shame to not explore this because we don't know what to call it or what catagory to put it in!

I was amazed to find the two "pistols" the US made for the underground which were so crude I would hesitate to use one, but we dropped them behind enemy lines and said here you go! I don't know if any were ever used successfully or not but if they were my hats off to the fellow that did!

Ricky
Quartermaster
Quartermaster

Postby Ricky » Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:11 pm

Feel free to create a topic in the WW2 History area (or even the General History area if we want to broaden it out)

IMO a 'secret weapon' is something that nations deliberately tried to keep a secret from the enemy - whether that was the item itself or details of how it worked. The newest model of tank etc doesn't really count ;)

An example would be the use of Infra-red lights on Allied night-bombers to act as a visual IFF to Allied nightfighters
"Study the past, if you would divine the future"
-Confucius

"I am pedantic, I'm just being overshadowed by Ricky so it isn't as noticable as it would else have been"
-Skua

dutchman
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Postby dutchman » Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:54 pm

That's a great idea Ricky. I'll get together a few things and have them ready to post in a week or two. If no one has started a thread, I'll put one up!

Return to “Announcements and Suggestions”